Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to the forum so I hope this is posted in the right place.?.? I am having some major issues with my trucks front calipers locking up. My truck is a 07 1500 Silverado classic with 4 wheel abs. I can drive the truck up to about 20 miles just fine and then it starts to shake from the front wheels. About a minute later, the shake becomes violent, the steering wheel starts jumping around and applying brakes just makes it about 5 times worse. I have to completely stop to get it to go away. It only happens intermittently (mostly starts at high speeds but doesn't go away until I stop) and I cant seem to reproduce it in any particular way. Yesterday, I was lucky enough for it to do it right before pulling into my driveway so I parked in front of the garage and jacked it up. Both front tires locked in place. Backs seem ok. I pumped the pedal a couple times and free. Dad seems to think it is an ABS problem so he pulled the fuse. Drove it today, no change. Drove around until it started locking up, again ~20 miles and jacked it up again. Both fronts locked. I pulled the hose to the brake booster, still locked. Checked to make sure pedal was coming all the way back. It was. Barely pushed pedal down and free again.

Long story short, something is causing my front calipers to hold pressure as I drive. Anybody experience this or know where to direct me?

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
you need to see if you have any codes stored in it they should start with a C. I dont think you will be able to get the codes at a parts store. So if you know anybody with a Tech 2 (GM scan tool) ask them to hook it up and get the code then i will see what GM has on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do if I cant get it figured out. Thanks for the reply. I did pull the master cylinder today and found that my brake booster was full of fluid and there seems to be a green slime??? in the brake system. Don't know what got in there but I guess ill be replacing the master and flushing the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2012 1500. I can not get it to reproduce the problem, but one dealership said ym back brakes were locked up. I think we have the identical problem. did you fix it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up swapping the master cylinder and flushing the entire brake system with new fluid and the problem has not returned since then (about 6 months ago). I believe something got in my fluid (or the wrong stuff was poured in) and was causing my calipers to pressurize as they got hot. If you think you are having the same problem, first thing I would do is make sure your brakes actually are locking up. (I always like to witness things myself before throwing parts, time, and my $$$ at a problem). If they are, I would start with a flush and make sure your master cylinder is working properly with no leaks. If you need anything, I am sure I or some other people on here can help ya out through this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m
I ended up swapping the master cylinder and flushing the entire brake system with new fluid and the problem has not returned since then (about 6 months ago). I believe something got in my fluid (or the wrong stuff was poured in) and was causing my calipers to pressurize as they got hot. If you think you are having the same problem, first thing I would do is make sure your brakes actually are locking up. (I always like to witness things myself before throwing parts, time, and my $$$ at a problem). If they are, I would start with a flush and make sure your master cylinder is working properly with no leaks. If you need anything, I am sure I or some other people on here can help ya out through this thread.
I’m having the same problem. Replaced the master cylinder and brake booster. Problem persists. Replaced what I thought was a sticky caliper. Problem persists. The only thing I can think of now is my linkage is not adjusted correctly. Stick on the side of the road now waiting for brakes to cool down. Gonna wait till they cool down. Hit the bleeder valve to reduce pressure. Then try to make it home. Gonna need to replace my pads and rotors since they got to almost setting my truck on fire they were so red hot.
Any help diagnosing would be helpful as I’m running out of ideas

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
483 Posts
It's possible for the hose between the brake line and the caliper to collapse internally, and prevent fluid from returning to the master cylinder when the brake is released.

When the problem happens, you might try loosening the connection between the brake line and the hose a bit and see if that relieves the pressure. If it doesn't, then the problem is in the hose or the caliper, if it does, then the problem is upstream (abs or master cylinder).

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Hopefully they got this solved and haven’t been stuck for the last 6 years. It is always better to start your own thread and tell us what you have, how many miles, and what you have done to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts