Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am not sure if this has been discussed before. But I have a 09 Silverado 1500 with a seized up front diff. specifically my yolk is what is seized, luckily my axles still turn and I can drive it. anyways, I have been looking everywhere in my area for a replacement used one. I know I can buy a rebuild kit, but my truck is a daily driver and it would suck if I have to park it for a few days. so that option will be my last. my question is, could I possibly use a front diff. from an earlier model or would there some conflict with that. and just for information I'm running a 3.42 ratio, thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,661 Posts
So it must be a problem with the ring and pinion gears then.

So what happens if you put it in 4wd? Or won't it even go into 4wd?

Anyway, to answer your question, ideally you want/need a front diff from a 2007 (the gmt900 body style) to 2013. And it has to come out of a 1500 4wd. Not a Denali since that awd diff is different.

And obviously make sure it's the same ratio.

Whether or not a diff out of say a 99-07c would work or not I'm not sure. I do know it's essentially the same 8.25" diff as yours, but I want to say the actuators are different between them.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah when I put it 4wd, she was not apply at all, it would give me the service 4wd on my dashboard . and the truck felt really heavy when just driving in 2wd, so to help it a bit I removed the drive shaft for now. yeah I'm not sure how much difference there is between the years, but I figured a few older or newer should work. I just need to find one and wish for the best. And I may just have to call them back and put it on the hotline, I mean I have found some on eBay for about 4-500 bucks but I'm kind of skeptical about buying such a big part online that's not new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.