Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:
Sorry if this is out there on the forum; looked without luck. I'm a fairly new Duramax owner (2015 HD - purchased May '15). I have ~26k miles and the fuel filter in dash monitor shows 46% remaining. I've never been one to trust these displays and have historically performed maintenance based on mileage. However, never owning a Duramax, I'm curious what knowledgeable folks do.
Thanks in advance for your direction.
Kelly

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
Well seeing as you have the cp4 pump, and presumably no lift pump (you won't unless you added it yourself), then I'd change the fuel filter.

The cp4 pump is sensitive to contamination in the fuel. So be CLEAN when you change it.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
Well not necessarily. But I also would not let it get lower than 25%. But that's just me.

If you use good quality fuel then you shouldn't have a problem letting go to 25% or so.

But having said that, we change ours on all our diesel pickups with every oil change at work. We have a duramax, and a few ford's (two 6.4l and one 6.7). So far we haven't had any issues with anything fuel system related. We do 8k mile intervals on the pickups.

If your doing it yourself, the duramax isn't really that hard to get to. But really the easiest way is to go through the passenger front wheel well. Which means the wheel needs to come off.

There are some videos on YouTube if you want a visual before you start.

And remember, cleanliness is key. I also like to fill the filter. It can make a little mess sometimes if you tip it, but it makes starting easier.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Honestly, change it every 15k. While filters actually do a better job at filtering as they age, they also have less flow. Like X said, with the CP4 pump you want to keep it's job easy. Sucking through a plugged filter taxes the pump. Most guys in the dmax who are anal change every 10/15k. I change at no lower than 40% and within 17,500 miles.

Don't pay to have it changed by the way, ripoff. I think they charge like $300. Just pull the fender liner and swap her out, takes 15 minutes.

Also, switch to a Baldwin BF9882 or donaldson equivalent. GM changed their OEM racor filter and it's no longer a good option, as well as its 3 times the cost

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oscyjack,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the logical reasoning and technical explanation from both you and 19trax95.

I did 'have' it changed last weekend. Was a time thing. While it thankfully wasn't $300, I agree it's a rip-off at $100. Next time, I'll be doing it.

I did notice the kid that changed it turned the wheel all the way to the right, and while I wasn't able to see him from the waiting room, I do know he didn't take the wheel off.

Thanks also for the recommendation of the filter.

Btw: drove the son in law's 5.3 back to Austin from Dallas today. I don't think I can ever go back. Love love love my D-Max!

· Registered
1,858 Posts
no need to take off the wheel, just the liner. should have plenty of room to get in there. youll need a bigass filter wrench. $100 ain't that bad all things considered, I think the OEM filter has an MSRP of close to $75.

its a different beast for sure :)

· Registered
152 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Duramax fam. I went from a gas truck to mine now and no I won't go back. Diesels are highly designed, powerful and reliable. But there is the other hand. They are a smooth machine but can be picky and need TLC. It most definitely begins with the fuel. ALWAYS REMEMBER keep it clean! Diesel is essentially dirty bottom of the barrel stuff. Yes refineries do what they will to "clean it up" but it is the nature of the beast. I don't have a lift pump system yet but I am considering it. I really would like you to do some research. Feeding the beast good clean fuel will be a worthwhile investment. Research filters, like the ones Oscyjack mentioned. Maybe a lift pump system also from kennedydiesel. I change my filter every other oil change, no more than 16-20k miles. Find a high volume (busy) fuel station that other diesels use frequently and try to use it when you can. (I use the same place near home every week if possible.) Avoid pumps that are very very slow. I'm not a petroleum engineer but smart men have told me the issue may be because of clogged filters inside the pumps. Also keep your tank at least half full at all times. It all creates a routine that certainly can hurt. You have joined the right forum, the guys on here are very helpful and will take the time to answer questions.

Welcome and good trucking!!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couldn't agree more. I've found the forum very useful and the guys very responsive and detailed. Great advise! Thanks very much - I will follow your recommendations for sure, including the research of the lift system. I'm assuming there is a thread on here as well that will be a good start.
Thanks again, Kelly

· Registered
152 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.