Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '03 Silverado LS X cab with 40k miles. Should I use an injector cleaner given its age ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It would not hurt. Get a 20 ounce bottle of Techron Complete, pour it in the gas tank, fuel up and drive normally and let the Techron do the cleaning for you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I completely agree with the Techron recommendation. Just remember, combustion chamber and fuel injectors did not get clogged overnight. It will take some time and multiple fuel system detergent applications to clean it up.

Daily use of a Top Tier fuel also helps. I stick with Chevron and Shell where possible.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
PACHEVY said:
I just bought an '03 Silverado LS X cab with 40k miles. Should I use an injector cleaner given its age ?
Great find! I agree with the Techron use the others have mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Boys appreciate the input. She purrs and no knock or ping and accelerates nicely. Should I even use this stuff ? Also should I put some high octane gas in her ? I'm thrilled with this truck. I like more than my '18 Sierra !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B52Bombardier1 said:
I completely agree with the Techron recommendation. Just remember, combustion chamber and fuel injectors did not get clogged overnight. It will take some time and multiple fuel system detergent applications to clean it up.

Daily use of a Top Tier fuel also helps. I stick with Chevron and Shell where possible.

Rick

Rick

do you suggest high octane gas/premium for this beast ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Use of a fuel cleaner once or twice a year is a good maintenance thing you can do - helps with deposits etc.
If you're finding hesitation or misfiring issues, it can help clear those up as well -- it's not replacement for actual mechanical maintenance, but it can help.
However, for clarity, fuel additives in 2014+ direct injection engines do NOT help clean the intake itself as there is no fuel there. They make special aerosol intake cleaners for that job.

As for fuel - I'll echo what's been said about "top tier" fuel - much more reliable quality. Not sure about in the US, but in Canada even the budget "no tier" fuel stations get their fuel from the same refineries as the high-end, just without all the fancy additive packages. However, I still avoid the no-name fuel stations whenever possible.

Oh and high octane / premium -- unless you have high-compression or a very dirty engine, it's mostly a waste of money. The additive package is a little different, true - but not enough to justify the additional cost. There is one caveat - premium fuel is sometimes ethanol-free. If you have small engines, especially pre-2000 or with real rubber parts in the fuel systems, ethanol is your enemy. For this reason all my garden equipment, generator, and motorcycle all get Shell premium -- here in Canada it's the only fuel available without ethanol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any opinions on using BG44 in my '03. Some Chevy mechanics seem to prefer it over seafoam.

·
Registered
841 Posts
PACHEVY said:
I just bought an '03 Silverado LS X cab with 40k miles. ...
Oh, you are my hero! I love low miles....... nice find! Honestly, if someone offered me your truck or a 2018 with 40k miles, I would take your '03. ;)

And for fuel injector cleaner, I typically use Marvel Mystery Oil, in my very own '03 Silverado LS X cab. :lol:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
B52Bombardier1 said:

Rick

according to Lew who is the master tuner for these engines, Shell gas is among the worst you can get and he advises strongly against using them. he suggests exxon/mobile or sunoco

·
Registered
841 Posts
Been using Shell for many years, in my truck and car... and in my 700hp Roush Mustang. Shell has always been good for me, but its interesting to hear the varied opinions. That guy Lew obviously has reason(s) for saying that. I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I also thought Shell was a good fuel I would like to know why it is no good as I use it to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about amoco ? I've been putting premium in my '03 since I purchased last month. Highway MPG is coming in at near 20 MPG ! Engine is smooth and doesn't miss a beat.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
As long as its a top tier gas its good, some brands add more detergents to help clean up and prevent carbon deposits is what I understand.

Also a marvel mystery oil and seafoam guy. I typically run the MMO year round in the fuel and oil and do a Seafoam clean 1-2 times a year.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
5,961 Posts
Back when I bought my 02 Sierra I used some Chevron Techron in the tank with good results. It wasn't running bad but it did make it run just a little bet better.

I have used Seafoam in lawn mowers and it made a huge difference in one of them. It ran rougher than Oprah running a marathon but after the Seafoam it was like it had the stamina of Richard Simmons.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,429 Posts
Chevy-SS said:
Been using Shell for many years, in my truck and car... and in my 700hp Roush Mustang. Shell has always been good for me, but its interesting to hear the varied opinions. That guy Lew obviously has reason(s) for saying that. I'd like to hear them.
Lew can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he has said that Shell has too many additives.

Here are his words from an older thread....

With that 6.2, you need to use at least 91 octane gas, so make sure you are using GOOD 91/93 octane gas, it makes a difference... mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp, chevron are best brands to use, with mobil and exxon being the best..

NEVER use Shell, walmart/sams club/bj's, mom-n-pop, or no-name brands, as it's crap gas/additives that tends to cause a lot of knock ****** and less performance/mpg...

·
Registered
841 Posts
roorancher said:
...NEVER use Shell, walmart/sams club/bj's, mom-n-pop, or no-name brands, as it's crap gas/additives that tends to cause a lot of knock ****** and less performance/mpg..
Now that ^^^ really surprises me. He lumps Shell into the same category as the discount brands. Very interesting, I wonder where he gets the proof to back that up? I would expect the discount brands to use "crap gas/additives", but I wouldn't expect that from Shell. Thanks for posting. ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
If I run Shell in our 1992 Olds 88 (3.8L V6), it runs rougher than anyone can imagine. If I run Shell in our 1999 Silverado (5.3 L V8), it runs fine, but I get worse gas mileage than if I use Exxon, Costco or no-name gas. In our 2004 TrailBlazer (4.2L I6) it does not make any difference if I run Shell, Exxon, Costco or no-name gas. As a result, I try and avoid using Shell gasoline in everything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts