Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel pump Or dirty lines? My 05 5.3 L silverado started cutting out, just dying while rolling a couple.of months ago. Shop cleaned the throttle body, I did the 3 starts and run to reset the computer and it has been fine. Until yesterday. Only a quarter tank of gas in it, fuel guage.would drop to near empty before the truck stalled. After 4 or 5 repeata I dropped it at the house, took the 75 to finish my errands and picked up liquid seafoam. Put half a tank of gas and seafoam in, ran another errand and parked. It didn't stall after it had cooled off at the house, or after gas and seafoam.
I don't think it's fuel filter because it stalls at low idle usually, and rapidly pumping gas occasionally stops the stall. Before I run up a shop bill I figure I'll run that half tank down some and see what it does. Suggestions are welcome. Truck has 211500 miles on it

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,178 Posts
put a fuel pressure gauge on the injector rail port and see what pressure you are getting, both at idle and when the engine is sped up to 3k rpm (to simulate a load). Pressure should stay between 55-62 psi when the engine is running at a constant rpm whatever it is.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,178 Posts
and look for broken off exhaust manifold bolts on both sides, they are known to break off, and that can cause exhaust leaks which may affect how the engine runs (and won't necessarily cause a CEL and/or code).

· TOTM
1,781 Posts
Reactions: shakenfake

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the tool, and after bookkeeping (which could take days) I may take it to the shop. But for now, I just ran over to the vet with a cat, and back, no cutting out. I wonder if something was just dirty and the seafoam cleaned it up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts