Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about what and if to use a stabilizer. I understand that water can build up in the tank, especially if it is not kept full and moisture is allowed to get in.

I fill up at least once a week. Is this a high enough turn over to warrant not using stabilizer or is it a good idea across the board?

I've used HotShots stabilizer before. I understand stabilizer is used to make your fuel system less hospitable to water and gunk/algae.

Thoughts?

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Yeah, especially in cold weather, a good anti-gel additive is very good to use.

Along with those listed by Oscyjack, Amway, yes... Amway, has a very good diesel fuel additive called XLP. I have used it in the past and found it to be a very good product. I did a year long test of it in my commercial diesels for a friend who is an Amway dealer Similar composition as the Amsoil stuff, it is made by Chevron. A good product at a good value. It has great anti icing properties which is critical with ULSD fuel.

· Registered
208 Posts
Lucas makes a good upper cylinder and injector cleaner and fuel additive in one, that I use in all my vehicles. Can be used in gas or diesel. Never had an issue. I purchased an 02' 2500hd crew cab 4x4 Duramax, and it never had a tank of fuel without using Lucas in it. Bought it by the gallon and added 3 ounces to every 10 gallons at fill up. Never had the first injector or engine trouble with the truck. Sold the truck in 2013, and the guy I sold it to has not had any issues either, and using the same additive.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
for some reason I just can't use lucas products on a newer vehicle. probably just all the past horror stories. I also don;t usually buy into the "wonder fluid" thing, you know, pour this in for brand new headgaskets! Pour this in for reclearanced cylinder walls! lolol

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Copperhead said:
Yeah, especially in cold weather, a good anti-gel additive is very good to use.

Along with those listed by Oscyjack, Amway, yes... Amway, has a very good diesel fuel additive called XLP. I have used it in the past and found it to be a very good product. I did a year long test of it in my commercial diesels for a friend who is an Amway dealer Similar composition as the Amsoil stuff, it is made by Chevron. A good product at a good value. It has great anti icing properties which is critical with ULSD fuel.
^^^ if only i could pick coppers brain for a few weeks. I want his knowledge on maintenance haha

· Registered
208 Posts
Oscyjack said:
for some reason I just can't use lucas products on a newer vehicle. probably just all the past horror stories. I also don;t usually buy into the "wonder fluid" thing, you know, pour this in for brand new headgaskets! Pour this in for reclearanced cylinder walls! lolol
Never heard of any horror stories with the product I use. Never had the first issue with this Lucas product and been using it for almost 20 years. Can't comment on any of the other Lucas products. The diesel I sold has over 300k on it now and has never had to have the injectors replaced. The first gen Duramax was notorious for injector issues, and I believe by using the Lucas product truly helped. Have had several friends using it that have not had the typical issues that others have that don't use anything at all. I'm sure the products you mentioned are good also, but I can only comment on what I have used. Yeah, I would never use the "wonder products" as you call them either. Just asking for trouble. If it is has a problem, fix it, don't pour something in the crankcase or transmission and expect the problem to be fixed by a mechanic in a can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.