Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1998 Silverado Z-71 with a 10 bolt G80 rearend with 180,000 miles on it. The other day, when traveling slowly (10mph) down the road, the rear drivers side wheel suddenly (thunk) locked up and began to drag. I stopped the truck and after quite a few forward/reverse shifts, it released. I was able to get the truck home but the following day when I went to back the truck up and check it out and it happened again. The driver's side rear only is locked up. Now, I can't get it to unIock. I checked the fluid and its up to level. Before I tear into this thing I want to know if anyone has ever come across this? From what I've gathered, the G80 is notorious for going out around 180-200,000. Is it worth replacing the G80 or should I go with a Eaton Tru-trac or Locker? Thanks for any help.....

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
IMHO if replacing a G-80, go with the TruTrac or E-locker. While G80s have served me well and got me thru some hairy places, they do have some weak parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.