Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering I have a 4wd truck is the rear end and the front end the same size? 10 bolt 8.5" rear end so I could order 2 of the same sets or are they different where I have to look for the different size for the front end?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
They are both 10 bolts but they use different gear sets. Also why are you going to 3.42's that is not much of a change for what it is going to cost. Figure around 2000 bucks or more at most shops.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are changing because of bigger tires but you don't tow then get 3.73..but if you want it for towing as well then 4.10's.. not trying to tell you what to do but the difference of such a small change isn't worth the cost since that is one of the more expensive things you would ever have done on your truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be doing the install my self and its not for bigger tires, it is to keep my truck from down shifting since the highways around here a hilly and it always downshifts, any suggestions on gear sizes then?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you cause im not trying to kill my gas mileage in my truck either if anything im hoping to gain a little since im in a hilly area, but am I going to have to get 2 of the same sets of gears, or will that not work

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anything over a 3:42 your going to have to change the front carrier. I'd recommend 3:73s...

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Setting up a set of gears is not a unbolt and bolt in proposition, there are a few specialty tools required to do it right and some experience, have you done this before? If your asking what the front carrier is I doubt this is something you should attempt.

If your dead set on it aste has a complete new front assembly he had for sale awhile back with 3.73's if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea my old man is gunna help me since hes a mechanic but he just wants me to figure out everything I need before we rip the rear end and fornt end out of it.

P.S he wants me to figure out this shit for when I start to work on other peoples vehicles.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Hey I just think it would be a smart buy for this guy, if I was going to regear a front diff and had to buy the ring and pinion a carrier and the install kit it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Bringing back a older thread.

Did you ever change gears? I just posted in your other thread about the 4.5" lift running 34s, I see that you've posted before that your truck only has the 3:08 in it now...

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Banned
54 Posts
I'd go with 373 gears or don't bother 308 to 342 would just be waste of time and money I got 342 in my truck and its terrible on fuel and is sluggish but I have 6spd auto 342 gears with 4spd are oka but you'll be much happier with 373

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.