Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 NNBS 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best gear ratio for 35" tires? I have 3.73 right now. Also how much would it cost for the ring and pinion? And do I have to get a programmer after all of this?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,434 Posts
What transmission do you have? If its the 6 speed your probably ok with the 3.73. I would not do 4.10 because its not a big enough change from 3.73.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
4:10's with the 4sp and get a tune for gear change change, tire size correction, and you'll need the benefits of the tune itself, for a little more power and maybe some added mpg's, to counter what the 35's are going to take away.

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMO, 4.10s being just one step away from 3.73s isn't enough change for cost. My first thought and idea would be to go to 4.88s, and it will help a lot, but if you don't want to go that far, go to 4.56s. The tune will help some, but it won't exactly be needed right away. You'll be fine without one.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Gear ratio- 4.56:1 with the 4spd and 35s, assuming 4th is 1:1.

Keep in mind that the numerically higher gear ratio you go, the more teeth are getting crammed into the same size ring gear (meaning they get thinner and weaker).

Standard ring and pinion labor around here is $250/axle. Ring and pinion for front and rear plus master install kits front and rear with all the bearings, shims, etc is going to be about $1000.

So count on about $1500 parts and labor for a full front and rear re-gear job.

I would take advantage of the opportunity while your diff is out and get lockers or limited slip diffs, labor cost will be not different (just the additional cost of the lockers/LSD, but hey, what's another $1k?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.