Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a system in my truck and in doing so I was installing some sound dampening material (Ballistic brand). I have a 2011 ext cab WT, the rear door glass isn't operable.... so I thought.
While the door panel was off and I was putting the Ballistic stuff in I kept having to reach around this frame and mechanism, and finally it dawned on me that is was for the glass. But wait, my back windows don't roll down.
Sure enough there is everything in the door for it to do so. So I looked at the door panel real quick and there is no cut out for a handle (had to check you know, it had me guessing at this point).
Odd, but that's what it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Time to mod :D

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
When the power window goes out that handle lets the window up or down to make replacing crap easier. Probly just something all models get.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
gmcultr said:
When the power window goes out that handle lets the window up or down to make replacing crap easier. Probly just something all models get.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1
But Cory, his truck doesn't have power windows. I have seen that on vehicles with power windows, but seriously GM!
What the heck does a handle cost especially after putting in the track and everything else?

This is really one of the silliest things I've seen a car company do.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Because its cheaper to assemble them all the same way and leave options off than to manufacturer them differently... and also if they rolled down people might not think abiut going to a more lux model than wt.. also decreasing profit.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
yeah, yeah, yeah, learned all that in business classes.
But I ain't buying the part about not getting a model with power windows. It is purely a dollars and cents issue from the manufacturing side. Same door panel for a truck with or without power windows, just the bezel on top of the handle changes. So no different door panels for the back seat.....$$$$$'s
Also no window crank, even though it's the same crank as on the front window, they are only using 2 instead of 4.......$$$$$'s

Most W/T are sold to fleets at rock bottom pricing, those buyers don't care about power or crank windows and GM knows it, so they don't add these conveniences to save the almighty dollar.

Still a crock, it is so much nicer to have all four windows down in an extended cab.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Im sure there is atleast ine person in the world that passed up on a wt because the back windows didnt let down...

Imbnot saying I agree with any of that... im just telling these guys what tue handle is for and why it's there even on the work truck model

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm quite positive plenty of people went with the W?T power pkg or the LS because of the power windows. bUt I guarantee GM doesn't give a hoot about them. I'll also bet that GM has fielded plenty of requests for roll down windows in W/T's. But that is such a small percentage of the W/T's sold that there is no need to accommodate those folk. GM wants regular folk to buy the trucks with the power options, more things to go wrong and repair :eek: :eek:

So yeah, your logic is spot on. But the profit margin is thin on all vehicles sold. Heck most of the fleet trucks that GM sells only come with a power train warranty, most fleets prefer to do all other repairs and pay a lot less per unit. I bought 390 RCLB Silverado's in 2010, W/T package and paid $8,300 each for them. Warranty for 24k miles on engine and transmission only. (OK, I didn't "buy" them, I bought them while working for an energy company, the company bought them, I just worked out the deal)
When you buy a vehicle, a large chunk of the price you pay is to cover warranty work and the actual manufacturing profit margin is very low. Car companies don't make tons of money selling vehicles, just like your local dealership, the main profits come from repairs and parts.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly I'd look into a WT if I had it to do again. The only thing it doesn't have (not literally) is power windows and carpet. It has cruise, tilt, bluetooth, power locks, DIC, steering wheel controls for stereo. I mean unless you wanted leather and power windows. Things like a fancy stereo (which is going in this weekend) can all be added.
We all change the tires and wheels (again, not literally all). The WT is a good blank canvas. I bought the truck used and wasn't looking for a WT, but it was 3/4 and a long bed which WAS what I was looking for. So I'm happy. And it by no means looks like a WT.
Don't get me wrong, I like plush and gadgets as much as the next guy. But this truck has suited me well

·
Registered
129 Posts
which is why I bought a WT RCLB, 4x4 with cruise control, a decent stereo, 5.3 6 sp, tow & plow pkges. I didn't want to pay for things I don't want, like power windows, or chrome, or dial 4x4, or carpet or painted plastic parts or fancier heater/air conditioning or leather. Only thing I would have liked OEM, are fog lamps, and then only because I don't like the capped hole being there. Otherwise the truck is exactly what I want. The wheels, muffler and cap I want GM don't sell. I'm cheap I guess, or frugal I like to say.

·
Registered
897 Posts
as stated before, it is there so they can charge for an option while not having to retool to run different door panels.

the price for power windows in a extended cab WT is $445. since most parts are already there, that's almost pure profit on a model that they normally don't make much on. the little things/accessories are where they make it back up.

·
Registered
681 Posts
To me a work truck is the way to go. One of my 04's was a W/T package. I bought it for $9100 with 75,000 miles on it. (It was a 4x4) basically bare bones, had crank windows, transfer case in the floor, crank windows etc. only thing it did have was CD player, cruise tilt A/C and carpeting. I ran it up to 132,000 miles in 2.5 years. Put a full leveling kit on it, 285 tires, clearance lights and a ram air hood. Ended up selling it, cash for $9800. Actually made money driving it! Haha! Worst thing I ever did was sell that truck, I miss that thing more than anything! I like my 2011, but it doesn't have the pep the 04 had

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I completely understand the stamping being the same, little surprised that the mechanisms themselves are in place, as that should be an opportunity for lean improvements. Cool discovery, get a drill bit and put a handle on it.

Edit - nevermind, took a closer look, there are no other supporting mechanisms, so a part had to go in there anyways!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.