Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any expert glasspack memeber on this site. I found a video a while back, and loved the sound of the exhaust. Its exactly what i want. After a little research, theres just to many options that fill the roll. In the video he said he had two 18" glass packs, split off, not inline with each other. Well seems there multiple brand glass packs, and they come in different diamaters and all kinds of stuff. Just trying to see if theres any one on here that specifcially knows glasspacks. Not trying to go with anything else.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
Well, I won't call myself an expert on glass packs, but I have had 4 different sized glass packs on four different models of Chevy trucks. I don't know that anyone has given me a choice of diameter, but I have had choice of length. 24" on my '94 5.7l 350, 18" on the '00 5.3l 327, 12" on the '05 5.3l 327, and finally 8" on the '09 5.3l 327. Each set (true duals) has been louder than the previous, but the earlier models ('94 and '00) had the ol' "garden hose up the pipe while the glass packs were hot" treatment (cracks the fiberglass, I don't recommend this treatment; I was younger and far more annoying than I am now :roll: ).

Also, all sets have had the main cat removed. This is something else I don't recommend due to loss of back pressure which in turn reduces low-end torque. If you are not towing or hauling anything, it's not that big of a deal, but this also seems to be relative to anything that resembles fuel economy. While I didn't buy my truck for its awesome, forecasted city/highway fuel economy, sometimes it would be nice to get a couple more miles per tank. Finally, if you buying glass packs for their sound (can be a bit raspy), it is going to be hard to keep your foot out of it to make it sound like that all the time hence causing more problems with any type of fuel economy.

FYI, if you like wildlife, you can forget sneaking up on a herd of deer or other animals that are skidish to sounds. Also, when trying to stalk your ex-girlfriend, this won't work either...just sayin. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
FYI, This guy makes real nice internal baffle mufflers, "Glass Packs". He will make you any size you want from 8"-48" The outer shell is 4" and available in stainless and aluminized. He specializes in Corvettes. I have used his 3" internal baffle mufflers as a resonator on another vehicle. Nice product.

You can purchase from his site or he has eBay listings as well.

http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard them on a bunch of different trucks, and i had em on my ford. Always ran the truck for bit to get em real hot, then ran it through a car wash that sprayed water underneath lol. The gas mileage i get now isnt to great to begin with, but i do tend to pull a trailer at least 22 ft. So i dont want to loose any power. Cherry bombs, has a couple different diamaters. I was just gonna buy em online and take em down to the local muffler shop and have em installed, figured it would be cheaper that way.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
I have considered having the cat put back on it, running it back into one, then back out to two. Wouldn't be true, but I would like to get that low-end torque back since I am considering buying a TT.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you are not losing torque do to a loss of back pressure. period. an engine is an air pump, the more efficient you can make it at sucking in air, and getting rid of the exhaust, the better it will perform. creating an exhaust that scavenges and helps pull the exhaust out, will net you even more power.

as far as glasspacks are concerned. they are not the best flowing muffler, there are much better choices.

the longer the glasspack, the deeper the sound. same with diamater of the glasspack. the shorter and smaller diameter gp's will give you the classic popping sound.

back in the day, the quickest way we knew of, to get rid of the packing, was to spray ether in them and burn them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.