Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the GM customer care people on this site actually helped anyone with their problem. I see them chime in quite often when somebody posts a problem they are having, but I don't ever seem to see where they actually did anything to help the person out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Yes sir. They helped me and I'd say they worked hard to help me get a new engine.
I also contacted Jessica the other day and she had called my dealer and had made them aware of another issue I'm having and they called me. She's also kept in contact with me to make sure I was satisfied with the service I received.

I don't know about others experiences with them but so far I give them a big thumbs up. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Before I found sierra silverado.com,I was on another site they would occasionally visit and I wanted to know if g.m. had a new 4.8 engine ,thier responce was only g.m. remanfactured 4.8s were avalible.I was told the 4.8 was manufactured to g.m. specs so I asked who remanufactures them and what are the specs? No responce to my question for almost 2 months! Now I can understand why g.m. might not want to reveal thier sources,fine, but at least tell me the specs and what new parts are "allways" replaced.My reason being the reuse of used parts and the fatigue factor.
If I'am going to spend $3500.00 + for a reman motor,just tell what the specs are and whats reused.Well maybe I'll get an answer now.
This is a great site.

Thanks to all
TAHOE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,508 Posts
I'm also on Camaro5 forum and GM reps are there as well. I know they can and do make calls on peoples behalf, move things up the chain if you will.
But I'm not sure they have any decision making power. I like knowing they are here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
I think they do a fair amount of mediation. I think they could do more with publicizing tsb's or atleast recalls.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I do see where they chime in to offer help many times but I can't remember ever seeing where the OP came back and thanked them for any help or gave them any credit for getting the issue resolved. I was worried that they were either not true GM reps or that they were maybe just GM reps but fishing for info that could be held against a list member when filing a claim or trying to get an issue resolved through a dealer.
What I mean, is that if I have made postings on here that I installed a Range AFM Delete device and then a year down the road, I start having engine issues, would that suddenly be brought up when I bring my truck in to have it looked at at the dealer?
Call me paranoid, but if the Government can defiantly spy on us, why not GM. I am sure they have all the data from the black box and what ONSTAR gathers.
But, I have to go now and set up the alien landing strip on my back 40.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Well... thats a risk you take when you use a device that you know voids your warranty?

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,351 Posts
It only voids the warranty if it can be shown it was what caused the problem needing the warranty coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
First, they are contract employees that work at GM and they can only reference problems up the ladder to an actual GM engineer or warranty person. The concept of them on websites started with the idea to browse websites to see what the complaints were and report them to either engineering and/or GM legal. It progressed into what it is today.

Do they help? In some cases they might. Do they want to help? Some probably do, some just do a job.

Would I ever use them for help if needed? NO! Used them once a few months ago and their answer was so ridiculous, I contact GM legal and reported their response. They were NOT happy. (To be honest, I still have enough contacts at GM engineering, WINS, and legal to help out if I ever did have a problem.)

I can tell you that they were on another forum I was one and we (moderators/owner) booted them off. We had some people who had swap out PCMs with non-factory calibrations and ended up having to fight for warranty work since the dealers "reportedly" did some checks and found out non-GM calibrations had been used. Problem with that is, if the PCM was swapped out and the factory PCM was installed, there is absolutely NO trail.

So some started to do some research and one thing was common with all, and that was, in all cases the GM contract rep from the GM customer assistance center contacted the persons in regard to the problems or another problems and all had sent their VINs to the customer service rep. It "appears" that the VIN was associated to the person's website ID, and a simple search of all posts by the ID would show they discussed purchasing the PCM.

So, how did the dealers know that these persons had a non-GM cal PCM installed in their vehicles at one time? Only thing that we could conclude is someone marked it on their service history under comments or one of the other sections in the actual service history on the GM WINS system.

Cannot prove it, but we did run the GM rep off the site. They could be still on the site under a different name and just looking around gathering information, but at least people are not intentionally sending out VIN numbers of their vehicles.

Basically, you should be able to obtain the exact same help via a phone call to the 800 number listed in your owner's manual and that information cannot be linked to your ID here on this site, or any other site they might browse. Not saying that that help will be any good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Altering the programming is an automatic void regardless. It's not like adding a lift or a cai. That's why the range is so popular... once you unplug it there is no trace... it doesn't write/overwrite the original programming.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
retg said:
First, they are contract employees that work at GM and they can only reference problems up the ladder to an actual GM engineer or warranty person. The concept of them on websites started with the idea to browse websites to see what the complaints were and report them to either engineering and/or GM legal. It progressed into what it is today.

Do they help? In some cases they might. Do they want to help? Some probably do, some just do a job.

Would I ever use them for help if needed? NO! Used them once a few months ago and their answer was so ridiculous, I contact GM legal and reported their response. They were NOT happy. (To be honest, I still have enough contacts at GM engineering, WINS, and legal to help out if I ever did have a problem.)

I can tell you that they were on another forum I was one and we (moderators/owner) booted them off. We had some people who had swap out PCMs with non-factory calibrations and ended up having to fight for warranty work since the dealers "reportedly" did some checks and found out non-GM calibrations had been used. Problem with that is, if the PCM was swapped out and the factory PCM was installed, there is absolutely NO trail.

So some started to do some research and one thing was common with all, and that was, in all cases the GM contract rep from the GM customer assistance center contacted the persons in regard to the problems or another problems and all had sent their VINs to the customer service rep. It "appears" that the VIN was associated to the person's website ID, and a simple search of all posts by the ID would show they discussed purchasing the PCM.

So, how did the dealers know that these persons had a non-GM cal PCM installed in their vehicles at one time? Only thing that we could conclude is someone marked it on their service history under comments or one of the other sections in the actual service history on the GM WINS system.

Cannot prove it, but we did run the GM rep off the site. They could be still on the site under a different name and just looking around gathering information, but at least people are not intentionally sending out VIN numbers of their vehicles.

Basically, you should be able to obtain the exact same help via a phone call to the 800 number listed in your owner's manual and that information cannot be linked to your ID here on this site, or any other site they might browse. Not saying that that help will be any good.
If you change out your PCM to avoid voiding your warranty and discuss it on a PUBLIC forum, and GM finds out too bad! You're trying to pull one over on GM and they found out...WAHHH! People who do this just ultimately add to the overall cost of warranty coverage and deserve to be caught. You want to mod your vehicle that's fine, but don't expect to cheat and not get caught!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can understand your point, but when you are voluntarily giving VIN's and other personal info to a "GM Rep" and they use it against you, I think that is wrong. I think people should understand that they are "GM" reps and not "Customer" reps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,399 Posts
gmcultr said:
Altering the programming is an automatic void regardless. It's not like adding a lift or a cai. That's why the range is so popular... once you unplug it there is no trace... it doesn't write/overwrite the original programming.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
I have to disagree on the automatic void. It depends on the dealer and GM. I saw a TSB a few weeks back where GM was instructing dealers to use their scan tool to check the PCM history in the case of powertrain failures (engine/transmission internals). If the PCM was found to have been reprogrammed, the dealer was supposed to forward a history printout to GM for warranty repair approval/denial.

I have come across service managers who would go into panic mode if the words "tune" or "tuner" came out of a customers mouth. On the opposite extreme, I have had some tell me "we don't care unless you go start adding nitrous or forced air".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Silvery13 said:
gmcultr said:
Altering the programming is an automatic void regardless. It's not like adding a lift or a cai. That's why the range is so popular... once you unplug it there is no trace... it doesn't write/overwrite the original programming.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
I have to disagree on the automatic void. It depends on the dealer and GM. I saw a TSB a few weeks back where GM was instructing dealers to use their scan tool to check the PCM history in the case of powertrain failures (engine/transmission internals). If the PCM was found to have been reprogrammed, the dealer was supposed to forward a history printout to GM for warranty repair approval/denial.

I have come across service managers who would go into panic mode if the words "tune" or "tuner" came out of a customers mouth. On the opposite extreme, I have had some tell me "we don't care unless you go start adding nitrous or forced air".
It should be proper procedure to forward all data to gm and let gm make the call on the warranty after someone there analyzed the data.... they have to be sure that it actually was some kind of altercation and not a bad update or something.

and sure when you bring in your truck for oil change or routine service your dealer might not care and seem like they're alright guys... but do you really think coming in asking for your tranny to be warrantied and them seeing your shiftpoints and firmness have been altered that they will still have a "nah man it's all good attitude"? Who's looking at your transmission? GM. Who's representing your interest that it was a possible defect ? No one.

It's heavily tipped in mgm's favor... those aren't odds id chance personally.

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,399 Posts
The odds are always in GM's favor when warranties are concerned. For example a customer with a stock tune could fill up with gas and have injector issues and GM could blame it on contaminated fuel and deny warranty coverage.

But the purpose of my statement was to explain that using a tuner does not automatically void the warranty.
Anytime a tune other than factory is installed the owner should understand the potential risks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,542 Posts
We appreciate all the comments and feedback on this GM customer care thread. In regards to using your information against you is not our intentions. We gather your information privately to keep your information confidential and we use your VIN to view your vehicle history. Modifications on a vehicle can result in warranty coverage not being applied if that modification can be traced to the cause of your vehicle not performing as designed. Yes, we are limited in providing certain information publicly but we take the necessary steps in getting you to the right department if further action is required. Once again we thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.

All the Best,

Jessica L. and Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,346 Posts
They could not help me when I was trying to buy the 2013 Duramax from the dealer in St. Louis. to be fair, I didn't think they could do anything because it was an issue with the selling price of the vehicle (the dealership went back on their word). They did offer to try to help though.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top