Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this catches GM Customer Service Attention. Its been a while since ive posted here. My girl has been behaved, but currently she is in the shop for a P2138 code. I know the Bulletin has been extended to 120K- Which tells me there is a KNOWN ISSUE. I have 124K on her. GM Customer Service will not take care of this matter under the bulletin. This thing went out on me on US 66 in Virginia- on of the heavies traveled roads out side of DC- 3 times during THE SAME rush hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNACCEPTABLE.

I am not happy. the stupid part is $70 at Rock Auto.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
That sucks. I wonder how hard it is to install yourself? Does it require the intake be removed? Also, do you know the bulletin number on that?

Also, what were the symptoms when it went out on you? Did it disable the truck without warning? There are GM Customer service reps that monitor this forum, possibly one of them will reach out or you could contact them directly through a PM.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She went into limp mode. I used my code reader to get it. I have replaced the TPS on the throttle body. This is the Accelerator positioning sensor. My hope is the GM Service Rep will contact me and take care of it under the bulletin.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bulletin was extended. Thats the point, especially being a known issue. It calls for a new sensor and a reflash of the ECM. That reflash is $100 dealer plus $150 for the part and 2 hrs of labor $ 110/ HR.

ferraiolo1 said:
Your truck is out of warranty and bulletin for age and miles. time to fix it on your own dime. Its not CS fault. Its not that expensive of a fix. :?

P2138

http://www.autocodes.com/uploads/gmc/11 ... o,-169,798

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
so if it were to fail at 150k they should extend it to meet that? why not extend it for the life of the truck?

Its not that bad of a fix for an older higher mileage truck. I wouldn't be so quick to badmouth Chevy.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its not a known issue, then why did they extend this bulletin. I would even understand at 130 or 135K. It is just out of that coverage. As a business owner, I would work with the customer to make it right.

23,197 Posts
GM is a corporation. If they extended it, it would cost them millions more. There are lots of known issues with these trucks and EVERY other car manufacture. After the warranty is up its up to the owner to fix them. Im sure they spent lots of money doing an analysis to come up with the extension that they already have in place.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
Sounds like you aren't enjoying the joys of owning a vehicle.

It's out of warranty and the bulletin so it's up to you to fix it. Does it suck? Sure maybe, but that's part of owning a vehicle. Why should they make an exception just for you?

· Registered
438 Posts
mjc3276 said:
If its not a known issue, then why did they extend this bulletin. I would even understand at 130 or 135K. It is just out of that coverage. As a business owner, I would work with the customer to make it right.
There are around 253 million vehicles on the road. Let's say GM is responsible for 50 million of those. If they covered an average repair out of warranty of $150 for each of those cars just because "they should", that's $7.5 billion out of their pocket. GM's profit last year was $6.4 billion. As a business owner, are you willing to go into bankruptcy to alleviate problems of every customer you've ever had? It sounds like an easy fix, and how much time are you going to use to fight it? What's your time worth?

Maybe I should sue GM for the rust on my '72 Nova, since it only has 123k on it... Or my Sierra, since it's under 100k...

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Wow lol.
This is part of owning a vehicle man, you learn things. Yeah they extended it, to 120k. You have 124k. Gee its 4000 miles over, eh i think i'll try to get it out of them anyway and get pissy.

Go to the autoparts store, buy a repair manual, and stop complaining.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
I think you need more bold and underlined text. Try all caps next time with size 48 font, maybe that will help :lol:

No, but seriously, warranties have limits for a reason, and sometimes with something that becomes more of a problem manufacturers will extend them (even though they technically are not obligated). But you can't expect them to extend indefinitely, just because some design of something shows to have more of a fault later on in life than maybe it should or was expected to. It is a fallen world, things break, engineers' designs can fail, just life sometimes.

70 bucks... not the end of the world.

· Registered
827 Posts
I know we all expect our vehicles to make it to 200,000+ with no issues or the dealer should pay for it, but this is the real world and their warranty was up. TSB or not, the mileage was exceeded. I'm sorry you are having this issue and it does suck but welcome to owning a vehicle outside of warranty/TSB.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
if my truck made it to 124,000 miles before having a sensor issue that cost $70... id be perfectly happy with that.

electronic parts do fail.

shoot $70 .. wait till you have to replace the ECU or catalytic converter or something that ACTUALLY cost some money.

23,197 Posts
We had to replace the bcm in the gfs Subaru with only 60k on it but it was out of warranty by less than a year. $800 for a KNOWN issue. Based on your other posts maybe its best you ditch this truck and buy another one that's still under warranty so you don't have to pay to fix it when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.