Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CarBravo - A Brand New Way to Buy Used Cars (not currently active. GM is basically creating a carvana style buying experience which sounds like it will finally include all their used inventory along with some extra perks).

The used car market is red hot, and it seems General Motors wants to compete squarely with used vehicle sites like Carvana with a new website called CarBravo. GM is beginning to enroll dealers now to be a part of the site, which is set to launch in “spring 2022,” according to a press release.

CarBravo will not only let shoppers look at inventories from both dealers and GM’s central stock of used vehicles, but it will also let people shop for non-GM used vehicles, Steve Carlisle, GM’s EVP and president of GM North America, said in a statement. That could help it better take on Carvana (which just announced it has sold one million cars) and other sites such as CarMax and Vroom, which let people shop across many different car brands.

The rise of direct-to-consumer brands like Tesla and Lucid have undermined the more traditional dealership / franchise system, so CarBravo could be a way for GM to dip its toes into that direct-to-consumer strategy. But the company has failed with bets like its Maven car-sharing service, and we’ll have to wait and see if CarBravo can break through against some of the more well-known online destinations for used cars.

GM is creating an online used car marketplace (msn.com)

CarBravo will provide customers with:

• A standard warranty coverage of six months or 6,000 miles on most vehicles.
  • Clear dealer pricing and 360-degree virtual views of the vehicle.
  • Vehicle history reports.
  • All cars will be inspected and reconditioned to meet standards set by GM.
  • Guaranteed online offers to buy customer vehicles even if they do not purchase a vehicle through CarBravo.
  • Access to GM’s nationwide network of dealerships for service and maintenance.
  • Roadside service, courtesy transportation, OnStar and SiriusXM trials on eligible vehicles.

Customers can also do at-home test drives and get home deliveries where available at participating dealers.

“All the revenue that we get on a new car post-sale, we’re expecting to get that revenue through the used cars,” Carlisle said. “The GM part of the inventory that dealers will have access to, customers will have so-called GM units … off-lease vehicles … gives us the opportunity to improve residual values, which has a straight to the bottom line impact.”

But Carlisle said GM will eventually use the platform to offer new cars and electric vehicles.

GM launches massive used car website CarBravo, hopes to take on Carvana (dallasnews.com)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Meh... Another Carvana, Vroom, CarMax thing. Guess the ease of buying while laying on your couch works for some people. While paying ridiculous non-negotiable prices.

The rise of direct-to-consumer brands like Tesla and Lucid have undermined the more traditional dealership / franchise system, so CarBravo could be a way for GM to dip its toes into that direct-to-consumer strategy.
Sure, everybody can start selling used vehicles with this said model. How about start selling NEW vehicles like that, too? IMO, dealers do not add any value to the new car sale process. They have their place in service and used vehicle/parts business, but not in new sales. Glass palaces, espresso machines and such do not add value in buying a new vehicle, though.

Reactions: GBSierraSLE

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,155 Posts
Be careful of photoshopped vehicles...

😁

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Meh... Another Carvana, Vroom, CarMax thing. Guess the ease of buying while laying on your couch works for some people. While paying ridiculous non-negotiable prices.

Sure, everybody can start selling used vehicles with this said model. How about start selling NEW vehicles like that, too? IMO, dealers do not add any value to the new car sale process. They have their place in service and used vehicle/parts business, but not in new sales. Glass palaces, espresso machines and such do not add value in buying a new vehicle, though.
That was their eventual plan. If you're someone who doesn't need to test drive a vehicle first, then why not.

There were a few things that came to mind:
  • Dealers are going to have stand out. I hope this encourages more dealers to start adding aftermarket to new and used inventory so theirs stands out from the crowd. Possible options like upgraded wheels and tires, exhaust, even cams, superchargers and tuning, that could either have some kind of warranty or at least be rolled into lower interest rate financing.
  • I think for those of you in the Northern part of the country and rural areas, its should give you a lot better options, (i.e. clean with a 6.2 options just expanded to everyone. For what it looks like you are paying they are much cheaper in the southern states).
  • I think prices are going to go up on anything that's quality. Somebody will pay extra for that prime example.
  • Once the nationwide network of inventory goes up. I would expect the PRIME CHOICE to go quick. I WOULD THINK if you are in the market for something, be ready. I'll bet prices are slightly higher, but if you expect it and can be ready for it, you won't miss out. I think everyone gets more options, but cheaper inventory will go up a little, and quality will go up more. Its their perfect time to sell what their is. I think we will hear people who tell us how there was a vehicle they wanted, they thought it was overpriced, called the dealer to knock down a couple thousand, and in that five minutes, it was purchased while they were on hold.
  • They are going to include leased vehicles. It sounded like up to now those are only for dealers. There might be some great finds in there. You have people who know they are getting rid of em, so they barely care, and you have company vehicles for people who never intended to rag on em in the first place.
  • I think this will only help those willing to spend more on the prime example, and those looking for a unique used (manual transmission, specific NNBS trim package, body style, color). For everyone in between, you're shopping what's leftover.
  • Some dealer is going to drop enough to get the fleet sales. (I know it used to be that), dealers can get bonuses for selling the most or X number of vehicles. Whether that's more of a limited option, or first call when a good opportunity arises. I think this will REALLY hurt dealers and salesman who work in rural locations.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Dream on, my friend. What ever GM will come up with is just another Carvana/Vroom/CarMax selling up to 10 year old vehicles with high, non-haggle prices and lending options for people who aren't exactly prime lending candidates. Again, some people are completely okay with all that and that's great. Good for both.

Wheels/tires/exhaust/cams/superchargers/tuning? Really? In some places some of those things could be even illegal and not according to the values these places are trying to portray to meet the expectations of the society at-large, such as being environmentally friendly and such.

Where change needs to happen is in the way new vehicles are being sold.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,811 Posts
They're a little late to the dance..........................

Reactions: tsuintx

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dream on, my friend. What ever GM will come up with is just another Carvana/Vroom/CarMax selling up to 10 year old vehicles with high, non-haggle prices and lending options for people who aren't exactly prime lending candidates. Again, some people are completely okay with all that and that's great. Good for both.
Yeah, and for those who want a prime choice vehicle made even easier, THEY will have more options, and an easier experience.

With the current state of the used car market, they might actually go older than the late model low mileage vehicle that someone can get financed for. Most of the NNBS aren't available to be financed, but now dealers will be able to get those trade-ins off the lot quicker. Have you seen what NBS reg cabs in good condition are going for lately? The dealers can even get in on that market now. We can have more than just craigslist, ebay, FB. You have to wonder if moving a lot of vehicles around through a GM network will be able to cut down transportation costs too.

Wheels/tires/exhaust/cams/superchargers/tuning? Really? In some places some of those things could be even illegal and not according to the values these places are trying to portray to meet the expectations of the society at-large, such as being environmentally friendly and such.

Where change needs to happen is in the way new vehicles are being sold.
I'm not expecting everyone to do it. I'm 100% expecting some to do something. Some dealers already add lift kits, wheels and tires, superchargers before you ever buy them off the lot. I think SOME dealers are going to have to get "creative". Do you really think there's not a chance that dickey scoggin won't drop a 6.0 in a NBS reg cab (with spare parts and time), if they could actually post it in the network with this kind of used vehicle market? I think there are actually quite a few Chevy dealerships that would LOVE to get into performance modding used vehicles, if they knew it wouldn't sit on their lot forever. This is going to give them the exposure they need, for that targeted buyer.

The tree huggers are exactly why this is going to happen. We're running out of vehicles whose priority is not mpg. Get something great while you still can. Get it nice, and drive it around as a forever vehicle. Get it while we still have quality to choose from. Get the work already done, and rolled into any low rate financing you can get. No down time, no work, no worries. You really think in this market, that if someone could choose between a really clean $8K NNBS tahoe, and the same tahoe for $30K, with a new LS7, that it will never sell??? Yes, I think there will be some dealers looking to stand out when this goes live.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Do you really think there's not a chance that dickey scoggin won't drop a 6.0 in a NBS reg cab (with spare parts and time), if they could actually post it in the network with this kind of used vehicle market?
Would definitely be cool, but highly doubt it. Pretty sure market is somewhat limited for a 15+ year old souped up truck. No matter how us enthusiasts look at it. I can see things being done on new trucks, but not on old ones as it exposes them to a whole 'nother level of potential liabilities, warranties and such.

All you describe sounds cool and I sure as hell would like to see it, but they don't fit to their business model and ROI will be quite limited. Bean counters run the business, you know.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Would definitely be cool, but highly doubt it. Pretty sure market is somewhat limited for a 15+ year old souped up truck. No matter how us enthusiasts look at it. I can see things being done on new trucks, but not on old ones as it exposes them to a whole 'nother level of potential liabilities, warranties and such.

All you describe sounds cool and I sure as hell would like to see it, but they don't fit to their business model and ROI will be quite limited. Bean counters run the business, you know.
The market is always limited for a 15+ year old souped up truck; BUT, NOW is the perfect time if there ever was one. The combustion engine performance vehicle only has a few years left. Combined with the incredibly limited used vehicle market.... If there was ever going to be a market for one, now is its best chance. If they can make money off it, then why not? You're going to get someone to emotionally buy a lot quicker if you can include "505 HP LS7 TAHOE" right there in the title.

What warranty on a 15+ yr old vehicle? That's the only way you're going to get one.

We're getting back to driving, but the beautiful part about dealers doing something like this, especially one of the racing oriented dealerships, is: they are already equipped to do this, they have the experience to do it and do it right, they may have a majority of the parts waiting collecting dust, and we're still not back to life as normal, so they could still be trying to get some more maintenance work from lack of driving. Something like this can be done to fill time, or on a dealer's schedule and not a customers. It's great for marketing. Also, nobody is financing an LS1 tech vehicle, but this might turn your $20K budget into $30K options. Being able to buy it and not wait for it to be built is definitely worth something.

If bean counters ran the business, there would be no aftermarket at all, and we would all be driving economy cars. I'm not thinking this would be a lot full, but maybe they have a few sets of wheels and tires on standby they can swap out and give you credit for stockers. Perhaps a simple exhaust on something newer. Maybe they can take someone's project they put too much money in on trade, and finish it off at their leisure and for cheap.

Ebay is sketchy, and limited or no guarantees. Craigslist sucks and takes a lot of time to search wide. Autotrader, cargurus, etc.. are all risky private sellers. This COULD include LS1tech type of vehicles with a dealer guarantee or at least a look over, and possible low interest financing. I'm just thinking that there really isn't anything like what this could offer. If you want a modified, ready to run from day one, NON-PROJECT, GM vehicle that you SHOULD have a guarantee it will run and drive at least enough to get you started or home, this COULD be the best way to find one. If the website is setup well with the decent filters and search options it will help both sides of the deal, get to the deal, better than any current option. This website's claim to fame, should be the nationwide exposure it is going to give every dealer in an easy targeted way.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Again, great ideas, but never going to happen. It's cool to dream, though.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
365 Posts
The rise of direct-to-consumer brands like Tesla and Lucid have undermined the more traditional dealership / franchise system, so CarBravo could be a way for GM to dip its toes into that direct-to-consumer strategy

From what I remember Tesla needed to get government approval to sell direct as it is/was illegal to sell directly from an auto manufacturing company.

But times are a changing...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, great ideas, but never going to happen. It's cool to dream, though.
There are dealers that already do it to some level.

From what I remember Tesla needed to get government approval to sell direct as it is/was illegal to sell directly from an auto manufacturing company.

But times are a changing...
I think that is a state thing. He couldn't sell em in CA, and now that he is in TX, he can't DIRECTLY sell em here, but there are work arounds.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GM dealers that soup up 15+ year old trucks? Interesting…
Not what I said. Is that why you left it open ended, so you could use the extreme end as your example? That's disingenuous and you should know it. Dealers already do it on new vehicles, and if there was a time to do it on a 15 year old vehicle, with this market, its the seller's best time probably ever.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sure. Okay. Anyway… Just another Carvana/Vroom/CarMax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts