Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
^^^Oh yeah! Nice one!

Neighbor texted me Friday night said we have a monster hanging around the neighborhood. Said it's a 10pt. I didn't believe him. Saturday I spoke with another neighbor who has seen the buck, says it's tall rack, but not wide. So two folks confirmed a sighting...hmm

So Saturday, I started carrying the .270 to the stand instead of my shotgun. That way if big boy comes by out of shotgun range I can still drop him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I pulled pics off game camera that's in my back yard last night, copied them to my ext hard drive & brought hard drive to work with me today...

So here are some interesting pics that I found...

And this is what I was hoping to find. My neighbor had texted me at 10pm on 11/24/17 after seeing this big boy in the hood. As you can see, he walked right past the hut as it was under construction in my back yard!!!

Pic of me returning from the hunting hut, time wasn't right as I hadn't changed it from DST...I hope I get a pic of me pulling that monster buck back to the house one day!

I adjusted the camera angle down a lil bit and set the correct time last night when I put the SD card back in it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Been in the hut since 9am...only seen one lil doe twice...first time dogs ran her past me once, then she gave them the slip and she came back winded. When she came back she was out of breath and walking slowly right up under me. She was a one arm doe...pick her up with one arm she was so small.

So I brought some supplies with me to do some upgrades on the hut...

Shelf and plastic tub in the left corner by the door entrance to the hut to hold daughter's blanket for her legs...

Shelf and plastic tub in the right corner by the door entrance to the hut to hold hand warmer packs, box of tissues, roll of striking paper and will hold binos, game calls and a flashlight when not being used...

Also mounted a 2x4 under front window to set binos and game calls on while hunting...

Hung pic of my daughter with her first squirrel with the .22LR casing that dispatched poor ol "Murphy"...

And I hung some camo burlap curtains...lil strings on bottom of curtains hook on screws above when we need to poke the gun out the window...

Bout time to go to house for quick lunch and then head back out here for evening hunt...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just got back to the hut...like new doormat I found at the dump Tuesday AM fits perfectly! ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The hut's first snowfall...

I'm gonna pick up one of these tomorrow evening as it was a bit chilly out in the hut yday and today...

My daughter said it was time to buy the heater...she's been saying we didn't need it. But after this past weekend she said "Go buy one Daddy!!!". In one of these pics she was using one of the hand warmer packets to warm her nose up. Lol

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Initiated the hut with some heat this morning...outside temp was 22°F when I left the house and headed back carrying my heater. After I got there I was sweating due to my layers of clothing...so after the sweat wetness started getting me chilly, I fired up the heater...it was nice and cozy! Coffee was good too! ;)

8:30am had 3 does come strolling past and I could see their breathe due to the chilly morning. Then I think I napped from 9 - 10am...came to house at 12:30. Ate some lunch and did some house chores (ie clean bathrooms, wash/dry/folded some laundry.

Then sighted in my new $25 red/green dot scope I ordered from cheaper than dirt. It went on my .22cal Benjamin Trail NP pellet gun. At 3pm back to the hut to sit til dark. Carried the pellet gun to shoot squirrels but didn't have any opportunities. Saw the same three does again...no bucks. Probably won't see the does Jan 1st - 6th when doe season opens... :(

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I think I would get more sleeping done in that thing than hunting. Turned out nice and I'm sure you appreciate it on these cold mornings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sleeping has occurred I won't lie...I'm just amazed that I'm seeing deer out of it this season. I figured they'd be spooked since it's "new" back there. Guess the doe deer don't care bout new, only the bucks...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Added some 1/2" foam insulation board (R3.2) to the interior of the hut...and caulked it in place on the edges. Next step is to paint interior flat black...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
There may or may not be an open bar... depending on the market prices...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So peaceful back here, no nagging wife, giggle monster daughters or PITA dogs to deal with. Just me myself and I...and hopefully a buck deer!

And of course my heater back here feels mighty cozy! ;)

41 - 60 of 195 Posts