Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
GobblerK5 said:
(I always leave at least one window open bout 4" for safety due to the heater).
We leave a 2x6 vent up high above the door in most of ours, and then cover it with some fabric(stapled). Plus our door frames aren't air tight.

So you don't need a ton of ventilation, and by restricting it a bit... you retain a lot more heat. I only use a Coleman single burner cook top (pic below) as my heater . It's 10k btu max, but I usually run it as low as itll go without sputtering. It doubles as soup/stew warmer when lunch/snack time hits :)

I can get my 5x5 box blind up on the mid 50's in low 20's weather in about 90 mins.

We do run carpet on our blinds floors to help deaden the foot and chair noise... so that does give some mild insulation to the floor too.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Got carpeted floor as well but I want to insulate & cover up the floor joists underneath. Ive got a ridge vent in roof and two louvered vents in each gable. I'm just cautious with the heater & leaving a window open as well so I don't snooze & not wake up!

I can get mine up to mid 70s in 20deg outside temps now, but floor insulation has gotta be mo better! ;)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
You're just being super over cautious then. With ridge vent and louvered gabels... you've got more than enough venting to let the fumes out :)

My dad has a big buddy as well... and he sits there with 2 or sometimes even all 3 windows open and wonders tells us how he's always freezing. His blind has a 2x14 vent above the door to let heater fumes out.

I did insulate it for him this year, but with a 12x48 window open... might as well be sitting outside.

When I hunt his shack ... windows are closed and I sit there in my jeans and hoodie - just as comfy as can be, half a day at a time or longer :)

That big buddy is so hot with the windows closed that I bring my little coleman with me just so that I don't roast myself out of there lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
The beauty of propane is that when it burns properly - it only produces CO² and water vapor. So when you get those nice clean blue flames.... you're not at risk of a carbon monoxide production.

Its when your flames are burning that ugly yellow color and/or producing soot that you gotta be nervous about CO.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I'm normally BDU pants, t-shirt & carhartt hoodie...with an orange glow from the windows before daylight! Lol

Time to put phone down for the night, kick back in my recliner with my cpap snorkel and get some sleepy eyes for tomorrow's freezer filling adventures...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Best of luck in the morning.

I'd love to go out, but sitting out in the cold isn't probably too smart right now- and the property i have access to here downstate has a lot less fancy blinds than we have up at my dad's property where all the nice blinds are .

Theyre box blinds but no windows - just open holes to shoot out of.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Well she missed a spike buck this evening...I would have missed too, as we were using KY windage and a 2ft holdover the bucks back...

I had ranged the buck at 180yds with slope and plugged it into BC on my phone.

Told her to use his front leg to match up with her vertical duplex crosshair...and then aim the length of his front leg over him.

While she was sighting on him...he's 20yds to right of the cedar tree...

Suppressed RA went pfft...buck did a lil jump then I heard the bullet impact....thump. He took couple steps and was looking round like WTH was that...

Told her, reload...buck walked closer to us, but was feeding behind the huge cedar (see pic above) in field that was blocking our view.

Finally he came around the cedar...I could see him with binos. Ranged again...135yd. Plugged numbers in BC again...told her where to hold. He steps behind cedar again... argghhh

Getting dark...he steps out & is walking directly to us...straight on chest shot. Stops at 75yds. I could see him perfect in my Leupold binos but all she could make out thru scope was his outline. Told her to aim center of the dark outline...

And my phone started buzzing...my buddy wanting to know if we did any good...I'm trying to silence the buzzing and it's getting darker...

Buck finally spooked & took off! Argghhh

Daughter is disappointed. Told her don't be...we brought the wrong tools to hunt with...should of had a longer range rifle instead of the 300blk shooting suppressed subsonic ammo...

But we hunted a new location and enjoyed our time together!

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
That sucks, wife missed a decent 6-8 point (best I could tell)

We make sure the gun is "on" right before every season and it always is..

This year we didn't do it and missed one.. set up a target and it was 3" off vertically what in the hell. Ha it stays in a nice case year round.

There will always be another!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Well in my daughter's case both of us were toting the wrong tools...300blk loaded with subsonic ammo. So that bullets path was like a rainbow at 180yds...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oof.... ya... you've gotta have your load and distance absolutely dialed for thay to work.

I've shot subs at 200 yds before so I know the challenges.. can't imagine trying to hunt at those distances without one heck of a verified click chart, a good range finder and a damn near perfect ES/SD tested load.

50 fps drop in velocity at those kinds of distances can be 5+ inches off point of aim.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I didn't realize when we headed to that property to hunt that we were gonna be hunting out of that tower in middle of the field... otherwise she would have been carrying my Remington 700 SS in .270 cal

Or if I can ever find a load that this .243 NEF likes she could hunt that field with it...

But acquiring another RA that she's familiar with sounds like the best plan...now just to finalize the caliber selection.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·

·
Registered
688 Posts
The 998..

At least the stock looks like its solid and won't fold up on you.

The first one looks like its something you'd buy at a late 1970's Tupperware party.

My 700 sps varmint 223 I think had the same stock on it (they look the same) and that thing was a POS. I traded it off because of how terrible it was. Worth it though..... its how I got my VX III

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
If I got the 922 it would get a magpul stock...I've got one on a 10/22 custom build and it's our favorite 22LR to shoot...she loves that magpul stock like I do.

It's caliber that I'm back & forth on...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ya.. big brother little brother...

I've got both so I don't have to decide anymore... except for maybe which one to shoot on any given day

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Well muzzleloader season opened last Saturday...so I've been in the hut everyday since then, except Thursday (Only day that I went to work...had a mtg to attend). Whacked a couple tree rats while out there...with them dying unexpectedly & silently...

Monday had a 6pt buck in the scope, but didn't fire the smoke stick due to him being inline with a house about 300yds from me...felt it better safe than sorry.

Two mornings walking back in the dark...I jumped a half dozen deer that were bedded down between my backyard & the hut...bummer

One morning was 9:30am infil to the hut and I jumped the 6pt buck...he bounded off waving his white flag...bummer

This morning, had teeny Lil 4pt walk right in front of hut, I could a spit bacca juice on his back...let him walk as he needs to visit some soybean or corn fields to fatten up...he was not much bigger than my dog!

Then around noon today...So the 6pt I'd been seeing was actually a 5pt...

Filled up the wheelbarrow getting him out of the woods...

Then hauled him to the processor...

Freezer Meat!!!

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Shot the buck y'day while he was standing in front of my game camera...how lucky was that? Lol

Watch it in 0.25x speed & watch the hair fly!

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 191 Posts