Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
If all goes well I'll be back in my freezer back up here in just a few days. Opening day for us Monday, and she's supposed to be snowing overnight Sunday night. Fingers crossed for a white opener

This is just one of five really nice Shooters we've got on camera this year

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Don't have a therm in mine... but I'm sitting here today, on this rainy day 3, in base layer under jeans and a t-shirt enjoying my coffee.

When it was 26 yesterday morning I had to keep my hoodie on. Much colder and I might have needed a hat and gloves.... Brrr....

Been a slow opener for us... only 3 deer total, including a 5pt my SIL got this morning.

Cousin plugged an 8 and a 6 opening day - and his daughter is totally hooked now and wants her apprentice license next year after hunting with him - and that's it so far.

Damn deer just haven't been moving- other than a few dinky dogs anyway.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Rut is on here, bucks running everywhere...dog hunters been stirring them up as well since last Saturday when general season opened...

I'll be off from work and in my hut this Fri and all of next week...

Hmm...nice deer whacker tool. My buddy dropped an 8pt last Saturday with his canned Grendel. 75yd shot and he said with the can on, he heard the projectile impact.

I like that idea of the rubber band on the handguard. Just might have to do that on my collection as well to quickly ID what's in the safe...

Here's my general firearms season deer dropper tool...

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks! I hope to find out how it sounds hitting meat soon. I've made suppressed kills before but not with the Grendel yet.

Happy accident that those magazine id bands happen to fit these handguards pretty nicely. Double bonus That they're relatively cheap.

At this point I've got enough similar lookin uppers in the box that this saves a little time.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
Nice 8pt, just finally found some bullets last week for the wife's gun so I need to put her in a stand. We are completely out of deer for the first time in a long time!

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
Never went luxury hunting like some of you, breakfast, coffee and heat? dang

All I have hunted in were the metal one or two seaters you strap to a tree

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,993 Posts
That's exactly what I'm saying! If I even thought about putting in my headphones and watching some youtube or games on my phone you bet your ass that'd be a smack from my dad when I was younger. No food in the blind only water

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
I even whiz off of the porch of my hut... blasphemy yay?

It doesn't seem to bother the "domesticated subdivision deer" that I hunt ...my hut is 300yds behind my house...and I live in a subdivision...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Never went luxury hunting like some of you, breakfast, coffee and heat? dang

All I have hunted in were the metal one or two seaters you strap to a tree
It's truly roughing it.

Although i usually skip breakfast and wait foe lunch to have my soup.

I bring cold snacks too (Jerky, etc)

But the first week of deer season I also pretty much live in my blind from before daybreak until after dusk.

My hearing protection also has Bluetooth so sometimes I listen to podcasts in one ear too. Or the Dan bongino show when it's on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I even whiz off of the porch of my hut... blasphemy yay?

It doesn't seem to bother the "domesticated subdivision deer" that I hunt ...my hut is 300yds behind my house...and I live in a subdivision...

We make a point to pee in the woods and around our property year round.

I want my scent to be "normal" part of the woods & our property as a whole.

The stand my cousin got his 8pt from opening morning.... I had to check my truck tire for a leak about 18 hours before he shot it

Heck... if i see a buck scrape, I'll whiz right in it. Just to give him someone else's testosterone to smell. It drives them absolutely crazy! My bro used to think I was nut doing it until a few years ago.

We were out cleaning out blinds and I watered a scrape we found next to one of the first ones we cleaned out.

Came back like 3-4 hours later and that scrape looked like someone dumped a jug of water in it, along with 4 other scrapes on that field line. Homey came thru to check his territory, found my supprise I left for him and I still can't figure out where an animal with a bladder that small got that much urine from lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
Our early blinds were stacked old hay bales that got wet and we couldnt sell. You got a milk crate to sit on.

The roof was a couple old.planks with a peice of plastic or tarp held down by a couple more hay bales. Just enough to barely keep any rain from dripping on you.

We spent >20 years building up all our current shacks.

Time and money well spent!

161 - 180 of 191 Posts