Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

GobblerK5's - Elevated Deer Hunting Box Blind

15K views 194 replies 17 participants last post by  BigBlueLB756 
#1 Ā·
Pile of lumber that was delivered this past Friday...and what I worked with Saturday through Monday...

And this pic from Google images is what I had planned to construct...

So after my daughter's 11:30am soccer game Saturday morning and then grabbing some lunch, I finally got started around 2pm...

Here's the EZ Brackets attached to the 2x6 floor joist outer band...

http://www.sportsmanscondo.com/productpages/EZBracket.htm

Then placed it on the 8'x8' deck I had build long ago for my kiddos playhouse to sit on. Since the deck was level, it was a good place to work from.

My 11yr old was my assistant...

And we have a floor!

Then built a porch...the ladder will attach to this when I'm done.

See less See more
#2 Ā·
Then onto some walls...corner posts attached to the brackets...

Then to attach sill plates, used my Kreg tool to create some pocket holes...

These...

Coming along...

Time for a door...got a 24" wide luan door from my dad. He just finished a renovation on his bathroom, so I got the old door. But I had to shorten it...and chisel the old top piece out so I could reuse it in my shortened door.

Glued & clamped…

#3 Ā·
Door in place and functional...

Then onto framing the shooting windows and siding...

I ran a screw thru the siding in each corner of the two windows on each side of door...I'll connect the dots on outside and cutout the window when I'm done with all siding...

Side windows are 14"x30"...

And here's where I stopped today as darkness over took me...

#4 Ā·
Finished up the front shooting window opening...14"x 55"

And this is how the front & back walls come apart from the floor base...

More siding installed...

All closed in...

Then this happened...our 17 yr old hot water heater gave up the ghost... :(

So called a plumber buddy and he came over...now $515 later we have a new water heater...

#5 Ā·
Used my router to make some notches on the ends of these 1x4's for overlap joints on the corners, to make a top sill plate...this top sill plate will attach to the rafters making the entire roof removable for transport...

Squared, glued and clamped...

Then it was onto figuring out the rafters...decided I wanted more head room towards back of the blind, so here's what I came up with...

And the roof structure in place...I screwed up and got a lil to energetic on cutting the bird's mouth on the rafters. The outer ones didn't need a bird's mouth, but oh well...

This is the vinyl corrugated roofing to be used...I did manage to get the door side of the roof installed before darkness, but couldn't get a pic as it was too dark for my phone camera.

#6 Ā·
Grabbed some daylight pics this morning before heading to work...

Here is how that top sill plate sits on the blind...the rafters are screwed to the sill plate...all comes off in one piece...

I've got some treated 1x4x8' that will be attached to the ends of the rafters to give the outside rafters something to hold the lower ends up...

And since the corrugated vinyl is so thin, I'm gonna take it back off and lay down a piece of foil sided insulation foam board on the rafters, then install the corrugated vinyl on top of it. Hope it gives vinyl some support so it doesn't drop in between the rafters.

#7 Ā·
Removed the roof and did some more work to it today...

While I was working on roof my daughter got going on the primer...I had True Value tint the primer. Told them OD green...but they wound up with a blue / gray...told em no worries I'd still use it.

She gave up on the primer, so I finished it. Then she wanted to paint the OD green...but gave up on it as well and I finished it...

Then got the roof put back on top and this was our stopping point today...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#8 Ā·
Lots of work. Looks like a fun project.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

#9 Ā·
Put some more hours in on this project today after lunch til dark...started by cutting out the windows and hanging them on hinges...

Then did a window frame for the T-111 window to push up against when closed...

And here's the hook and eye's to keep window shut when not using the hunting hut...

Then slapped on some more paint...

Next weekend I'll need to cutout the front window and install the gable end siding pieces. The construction is just about complete now...

#11 Ā·
It's built to come apart...all four walls and roof get removed. I'm gonna use my dad's firewood wagon to pull the sections back from my house one at a time to the location about 250-300yds. Dad told me his lil wagon is rated for 1200lbs. And I'm guessing each wall is 100 - 200lbs?

I've got some buddies lined up to help me. Once the floor is attached to the 4x4 legs (which each slide into the corner bracket on each corner of floor base), tilt the whole platform up on all four legs. Level the platform. Then the side walls get raised by two of us on the platform pulling the wall up with a rope. Once both sidewalls attached to platform, then repeat the process for the front & back walls. Once they're attached, then pull the roof up and set it on top.

At least that's my plan...

#12 Ā·
So this weekend's progress has been minimal...had two soccer games yday for the kiddos and then my 9th grade daughter went to H.S. Homecoming dance...so...I didn't get much time on this project yday.

But what I did get done was installed a couple vents in the gable end pieces, then installed the gables...

Then got the front window cutout and then framed...

Oh and I acquired an old desk chair for the hunting hut...

I went out this afternoon to finish up the front window by installing the hook & eyes to keep it closed then used my shop vac to clean out the hut. I had wanted to paint the front window, but the humidity is stifling, so I retreated to my recliner in the basement for some R&R...I'm either fighting a respiratory cold virus or allergies, so I feel like poo. So time to watch some DVR'd shows and maybe drift off into a nap?

#15 Ā·
Installed some vinyl Z channel as a drip edge over the windows. I had some Krylon Camo rattle can paint leftover from the last tree stand build... unfortunately I didn't have enough to get them all painted. So I'll just brush on some of the paint I used on the siding...

Also installed some leftover siding as a soffit to close in the rafters...trying to keep critters and wasps out of the hunting hut...

More wasp protection...brown aluminum drip edge to seal off crack between roofing and face board...

And two old desk chairs for hunting in style...

#17 Ā·
Waiting to see the fridge and coffee maker installed! Perhaps a port-a-potty for downstairs...

#20 Ā·
Primed and painted the soffit and under left & right side eaves of the roof...

Then painted the door knob...

Also installed drip edge at roof edge on the front and caulked all cracks before I painted.

Here's some random complete pics...time to dismantle it all now, transport to the woods and reassemble...

#21 Ā·
So got the roof off and walls disassembled, then loaded floor to wagon and pulled it back to the location.

Then back to the house with the wagon and returned to the site with a load of 4x4 and 2x4 lumber.

Then continued working my "mules" in getting the 4x4s installed...we tried lifting the platform, no dice. So texted my neighbor, he came back to the site and we got it standing...

All leveled up and braces installed. It's rock solid, no movement on it at all when trying to shake it...

You can see the old stand in the background...it's getting a rehab then will be relocated.

This Friday...I have off from work. Gonna build the ladder leading up to the porch and then next Sunday after church I have a couple buddies coming over to help get the walls & roof hauled back to the site and then installed.

#22 Ā·
Got my ladder built and installed today. Used a dado blade on my circular saw to create some notches for the ladder steps.

Loaded on wagon and headed down the path...

And got it installed...

Also added a couple diagonal braces to support the ladder...

#23 Ā·
Man...that is like the Taj Mahal of stands! How much property do you have that you can walk that out in the woods behind your house and hunt there?

#25 Ā·
Ok, so hunting hut is all installed...started out today with transporting all components to the site...

Then my buddies showed up and we had an old fashioned barn raising...

All done...

Buddy texted this pic to me...I was just a grinning...yet you can't see my face in the shadows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.