Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2007 Silverado Classic V6 5speed. I live in Mexico, so here inst really emission control and that stuff. My dad got a Hummer V8 its a vortec 5.3, he said he removed the hummers catalytic converter and he got like better 15% mileage and the truck felt really light and the sound of it is awesome. My question is, does removing the cat gives you better mpg? Will it do the same in my 4.3 Silverado?

Sorry about bad english

·
Registered
533 Posts
The exhaust system on your 4.3 litre is pretty free flowing as it is, especially for a fairly small engine,
so I doubt that you would gain much power or mileage by removing the cats,
The other thing to consider is that the stock exhaust system on your truck is stainless steel
and will probably last the life of the vehicle, so you may want to consider that when you think
about modifying it.

Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today i got my catalytic converter removed, it was an hour job and i got 700 pesos, like 50 bucks in USA. About the performance, the truck feels like it breaths more freely. Something a noted today my trip to home before the mod i was in 5th speed at 50 at 1300-rpm. Now after the mod i go 5th speed at 60 at 1200 rpm. I think it will reflect a lot tomorrow when i fill my tank.

The car sounds really sporty, i am not flooring it till i fill my tank (i fill it every morning). But the sound at low rpms is not bad, but when i got the flowmaster i think it will be really good.

PS: I got 50 dollars, and better economy i think, so here in mexico is a really good mod.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You absolutely did not improve your gas mileage by removing your cat, presume you meant cats as in 2 vs just 1. Regardless if you wanted louder then that was your real justification for $300 pesos and congrats. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BravoGolfTango said:
You absolutely did not improve your gas mileage by removing your cat, presume you meant cats as in 2 vs just 1. Regardless if you wanted louder then that was your real justification for $300 pesos and congrats. :cool:
It now give me 2 more mpg on town. I removed both cats, so no cats in my truck. The real justification to do this is that i am going to put a flowmaster on it. I know from experience that when removing the cats, the flowmaster will sound a lot harder and better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SilveradoWorkTruck said:
BravoGolfTango said:
It now give me 2 more mpg on town. I removed both cats, so no cats in my truck. The real justification to do this is that i am going to put a flowmaster on it. I know from experience that when removing the cats, the flowmaster will sound a lot harder and better.
Ahh, touche my friend, in that case it will indeed sound better. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.