Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this guy hit my truck while trying to park.... he hit the chrome on the rear bumper- was really apologetic and we swapped information. So my dilemma... He's paying out of pocket, quote at the dealership was for $700. The "dent" in the bumper is maybe the size of a quarter, the only noticeable effect was the scuffing of the chrome. I'm fairly tempted to take the $700 and add some cash to just put a new heavy duty bumper on the truck. What do you all think? I figure I can sell the old bumper for $500 or so even with the scrape.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Say it aint so jimbo

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Well, the deductable will probably take up all of that $700, so sell the old bumper and get a heavy duty one!

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
That's one issue with driving trucks. The exactly don't fit in standard parking spaces-they stick out more then other vehicles. I try to park in the "lower forty" whenever possible for this very reason.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
If it were me, I might settle with the guy for $500 (since he was honest and sytayed around) and either leave it as is (if it's that small of a dent), or take the $500 and get that parts to fix it and fix it myself. I'm sure if it's just the one side you can get the parts for less than $500, still making a bit of money.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I would not 'upgrade while you're at it', seems a tad dishonest to me unless you openly tell the guy. I also would not get a dealer quote and then pocket cash by doing it yourself. Make a decision before taking the man's money, he was honest and up front with you, I'd do the same. If he agrees to it, then go with the upgraded bumper, it would look great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You don't want to say you modded because of this poor guy do you? You have to agree w/the guy wanting to pay out of pocket (no increase of insurance rates for him). Stay honest as well as fair ... never be the person that takes food off another man's table. Call that your "good deed"

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ag/Rado said:
You don't want to say you modded because of this poor guy do you? You have to agree w/the guy wanting to pay out of pocket (no increase of insurance rates for him). Stay honest as well as fair ... never be the person that takes food off another man's table. Call that your "good deed"
+1

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would feel guilty as he!! taking that much $$$ for something the size of a quarter and a scrape. That's just me. For instance if it were the other way around and the guy came back to you and said $700.00 would you be like WTF?, for that little dent?, or would you be like ok $700. seems fair? This of course is just my honest opinion ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I hear where y'all are coming from for sure... Thanks for the input. I guess there's a little more morality to my dilemma than I had originally considered- but when some clown crashes into your forty five thousand dollar truck, I think some sense of morality dies with the "mint condition" sticker.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You call him a clown have you never made a mistake...at least he is willing to pain because he could have either just left or told you to go pound sand especially if you where on private property.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Treat him the way you want to be treated

say to yourself "How can this work out that makes me a better person ?"
If all of us said this each day the world would be paradise -

though kinda optimistic !

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
If your mod (which you would presumably prefer) would cost less than a same as before repair, then charge the lower of the two.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,455 Posts
If it was me id let the guy keep his money and get behind the ding with a hammer and pop it out. No need to take his money for something that could probably be fixed for free in a minute. If its worse than can be fixed then id only accept whatever the cheapest way to fix it is. He seems like an honest guy so I would screw him over.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How much would paintless dent repair shops fix this for? I would think they can work on the bumper even though it is significantly thicker than sheetmetal... anyone else ever try this?

If you truly want to get it fixed, I'd charge the guy your net cost and call it good - no need to profit from someone's honesty.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.