Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i got my 7.5 inch rough country lift and im just wondering what else i should look into replacing? ready lift upper control arms? are they worth it? needed? anything else recomended??? just trying to get everything so I only have to take it apart once!

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Go ahead and replace that RCX lift with a better one.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
laszlo462 said:
judsonlimited said:
Go ahead and replace that RCX lift with a better one.
Was the first thing to pop into my head.
well i got it at a hell of a deal. now that im reading up on it, with what im reading it has bad angles (i'm guessing drive shaft angles) i wanted to get the mcgaughty 7-9 but i just read those have bad angles as well. i cant afford a BDS lift, what are some other good options?

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
You could also just run it at 6" and not have the same problems if you pushed for that extra 1.5". Get a 1.5" BL if you need the height that bad.

· Registered
96 Posts
My truck is in the shop now getting swapped out from the 7.5 RCX to the BDS 6. The angles weren't ideal and it rode pretty rough. I didn't do enough initial research so ended up wasting money on this kit. I don't think its a horrible kit since I didn't have any mechanical issues in the few hundred miles I drove it, I just think it has its place on a truck that stays on the pavement and doesn't ride in areas that have potholes. Check out my other posts and the one in "post your angles" thread to see the angles and issues I was dealing with. With that said, I feel that there is a lot of misinformation from people on this website. People are on the bandwagon and bash RC when they haven't even had one of their kits on their vehicle. They make it seem that if you put an RC lift on your vehicle its going to fall apart tomorrow. The fact of the matter is, it will run but will slowly wear your front end and will need to replace ball joints and CVs more frequently. Further, the kit is made from second line steel. While doing the install a few parts broke, including the the top of one strut when tightening and another part that I cant remember at the moment which leads me to believe that they are not near as strong enough as they should be. I don't want to say too much as I haven't seen my truck yet with the BDS but will post once i pick it up next week. One thing I've learned especially with lifts and such is that you literally get what you pay for. If you're like me want safety, ride quality, performance, and peace of mind I wouldn't put this kit on your truck. If you just want lift and don't really care then I wouldn't worry about it. Sorry for the ramble but just my 2 cents here.

Also the RC 7.5 and BDS 6 are both stretched lift kits which will cause the suspension to be different than factory. However, the RC angles are worse. Fabtech will give you a full drop but uses a strut spacer unless you get coil overs and doesn't give enough front ground clearance in my opinion. Honestly, I have read a lot about Mcgaughys and hundreds of pictures and the CV angles are good at 7 but going to 9 will be extremely similar to the RC lift and the thing that steered me away was the angle that the upper ball joint was on the Mcgaughys. It was identical to the RC angle. If you do decide to stick with the kit, make sure you check your welds and ball joints, etc. frequently. Its really just a matter of safety in my opinion.

And finally, I could not seem to get the stabilitrack to work properly with the kit. The angles of the knuckles seem to be causing the issue. I am confident the BDS kit will fix this.

I find it funny that the dude just asked a simple question and we are all telling him to swap the kit :lol:. But in all seriousness, I hope this helps in your decisions as I wish it helped me.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
The whole kit was my first thought too if I'm honest. RC is ok for a standard level with simple spacers. I just would not use them for anything else personally. Have helped install kits from RC, Tough Country, Superlift, Skyjacker, Teraflex and Fabtech. Really does not take much when you have handled a fair amount of lift parts to tell who makes real quality parts. From castings being slightly off to parts just feeling cheap to poorly designed kits. If you got a deal on it. Maybe you can flip it and put away for a kit you will be able to really use and enjoy. The only kits I saw that seemed as bad as RC were oddly enough Tough Country. As JuryRig said. "You get what you pay for." This could be no more true than it is of lifts.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fisger8new said:
The whole kit was my first thought too if I'm honest. RC is ok for a standard level with simple spacers. I just would not use them for anything else personally. Have helped install kits from RC, Tough Country, Superlift, Skyjacker, Teraflex and Fabtech. Really does not take much when you have handled a fair amount of lift parts to tell who makes real quality parts. From castings being slightly off to parts just feeling cheap to poorly designed kits. If you got a deal on it. Maybe you can flip it and put away for a kit you will be able to really use and enjoy. The only kits I saw that seemed as bad as RC were oddly enough Tough Country. As JuryRig said. "You get what you pay for." This could be no more true than it is of lifts.
Looks like I should start saving for the mcgaughy 7-9..... And find someone to buy this RC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.