Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the money on other vehicles to have a shop tune done by someone claiming to be an expert and didn't see much different between what they did verses a hand held tuner... this considering my vehicles have all basically been stock expect for a few common bolt on stuff (CAI, turbo muffler,etc)

If I were building a customer performance engine, I'd seek out a shop to go get a customer tune... but, I'm not doing that this time around.

So, with that being said... what are supposed to be the best hand help tuners these days?

Last Silverado I had was a 2014 2WD with 5.3L and 6 speed auto tranny and I used the Hypertech 2000 (Max Energy Tuning) to turn off AFM and do the tune.

I was pretty happy with it as it seemed to be a mild tune that increased performance a little. I sold the truck to a buddy of mine and it's still running great so no adverse results.

So, is there anything I should be lookin at other than the Hypertech 2000 (Max Energy Tuning) for doing tune using a hand held tuner?

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll pass on the devil tune... I could tell substantial difference between stock and tunning with the Hypertech 2000 on the 2014 truck I had. Like I mentioned, mine is stock and not a built engine so I'm just interested in a mild tune, nothing fancy

If I was going to blow a lot of money, I'd find a shop in my area and get a custom tune

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
8,693 Posts
A DiabLew tune is the best thing I've ever done to my truck. Makes the truck come alive and drive the way it should have from the factory. it's not going to give you a bunch more power but it greatly improves the driveability and the way the transmission shifts.

· Registered
4,884 Posts
I agree with others on Diablew tune. He is a GM expert on tuning and many here use his service. Best bang for the buck. Changed my shift points, increased my idle so no more feeling like it was missing from low idle. You won’t be disappointed.

· Mmbr Extraordinaire SS-Guru How-To-Author TOTM
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 LC9 211k mi
17,451 Posts
The canned tunes can only operate in a very save range for the changes made since they are generic for any truck. A custom tune, which you know, reads the actual parameters of a vehicle and the tuner can tweak things much farter. But as Gary mentioned, a hug benefit is the trans tune he does. When I started with the canned tunes, shifting was similar to stock where it hunted for gears in situations like rolling then getting back on the gas. And the canned tune shifts at heavy throttle were way way to harsh. Felt like I was going to drop the trans out. Lew's tune is very refined...so much better than stock and yet hits fast and precise when you get on it.

Its like soft butter on warm french bread...tastes and smells devine...and...smoooooooth!

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I'm wanting is a mild tune which provided a nice bump in power and provided more responsive shifting on my last Silverado which is all I'm wanting to do.-

I was just asking about handheld tuners so if nobody uses them then I'll go with the Hypertech unit which works good for me last time.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,428 Posts
Diablosport is a handheld tuner...

But if you want the best of the best for a stock, to bolt on truck, then Lew is the only way to go. Canned tunes, no matter what brand, will never even come close to a custom tune.

All the canned tunes are around the same and provide minimal difference. The real refinement comes from a custom written tune.

· How-To Author
2015 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
4,624 Posts
You're not gonna find anything better than the Diablosport tuner and a custom Lew tune. He's tuned several thousand vehicles. Plus the tune can be modified via email vs having to go back to a shop.

Here's 90 pages for you to read..

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, so where do I sign up to make commissions for leading people to get a "Lew tune"?
As concerned as everyone is about trying to drive me to get a "Lew tune", you must be getting a cut of the action!

Look, I know a guy not far from here that tunes Vetts and Cameros for street racers as well as guys that run on the track.

His shop has the dyno and he has years of experience, has been to tall the training, and is a GM factory trained ASE Certified Master Tech... so if I wanted a custom tune, I would go see this guy cause he is local. He tuned my 5.3L Chevy Colorado

I'm not dealing with anybody that is not local if I were to do a custom tune.

But, like I said, I just want a mild tune and the Hypertech Tuner I used on my 2014 Silverado did a good job at providing a mild tune... so you guys can relax, I'll get exactly what I'm needing.

Besides, I don't do business with products or services that use the devil for a mascot for obvious reasons.

· Registered
4,884 Posts
I thought the purpose of this forum was to help others out and share experiences? All the group was doing is answering your request for advice. We don‘t get any cut of said action by suggesting Lew tunes. Those of us that have used his service are very happy with his work. Yes it is done via email, not a big deal at all. Maybe view his website www.diablewtune.com and see for yourself. If you choose another route that is ok too your choice. I did not reply to you looking for an argument just pointing out a few things. Enjoy your truck.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not looking for an argument, just thought it odd that numerous posts continue to attempt to get me to go with a lew tune

Besides, I was simply asking about hend held tuners... not custom tunes. I'm aware of the claims concerning both.

17,451 Posts
One of the nice features about this (canned or custom) is that you can pull the tune off and put it back to stock if you ever have to take it in for service. If they happen to flash the truck while there, the custom tune is lost and the tuner is locked. If you get a tune from a physical shop, you have to take it to them to remove the tune then go to a repair shop I am guessing.

This guy is using EFI live I believe, but with any of the full ability tuners, you need to know what you are doing.
@58nate

17,451 Posts
Also, I held off getting a custom tune for a long time. I picked up a low cost second hand tuner (the one with the devil on it) and messed around thinking that would be just fine. But I was not happy at all with how it shifted and it didn't seem to give me any more power. Though after the custom tune I could feel a little bump, a tuner is not going to gain much. It was nice to be able to turn off AFM and to adjust tire size for correct speedo though.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,428 Posts
If your already set on the hypertech, then why even create the thread?

Not a single person gets commission for telling people to go with a Lew tune. We all say it, because it's the best.

I don't give two shits about brand name, I use what's best. If you want to stick with a run of the mill canned tune and not be able to get the most out of what the truck can offer, then go for it. It's your money at the end of the day.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If your already set on the hypertech, then why even create the thread?
I was wanting to know if some other hand held tuner out there might be better than the Hypertech.

There's always new tech coming out so thought I'd ask.

But, I get it... nobody uses hand help tuners so I'll just go with the new Hypertech 3000 tuner which is new compared to the one I used on the 2014 Silverado I used to have.

If you want to stick with a run of the mill canned tune and not be able to get the most out of what the truck can offer
Yes, and some folks have their trucks damaged by doing a custom tune that goes too far. And of course the tuner is not liable and doesn't pay for their mistakes in judgements

This is why I'm going for a mild tune.

If I were building a custom engine and going for all out performance I'd do the customer tune. If I really wanted to get the most my LS engine could offer... I'd throw in a custom built 6.2L engine with 600 or 700 horses and really get jiggy with it!
That's alot of money to spend to beat the guy next to me down to the next traffic light!
Smile Food Emoticon Smiley Font

My truck is just going to be one of 3 trucks I have on hand being used as daily drivers. The Hypertech will provide a nice bump in performace and the Pedal Commander I'll use will make acceleration even better

· Registered
177 Posts
You can buy the Diablosport Intune I2 or I3 and use the built in tunes (I went with the 87 octane tune), that's what I did on my 2010. You can disable the AFM, adjust idle, adjust tire size, adjust injector, adjust trans shifting, etc. I've never seen the Hypertech so I can't really say if one is better than the other but either one should do what you're looking for and the price looks pretty close. It definitely makes the truck drive better than stock.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I'll go with the Hypertech cause they don't appear to be devil worshipers!
Product Organism Arthropod Insect Finger

When I used the Hypertech tuners on the 2014 Silverado I had... I told it I was using 93 octane so I could get more timing advance... I typically run mid-grade gas with no moonshine in it and it ran great

It never clattered either

1 - 20 of 38 Posts