Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,661 Posts
It seems like you are confused as to what a hand held tuner is...

The Diablosports are hand helds that can accept custom tunes.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No, no confusion on my end.

There are different versions of hand held tuners.... the ones I'm referring to like the Hypertech have safe or mild tunes in them already and they provide a tune based on the data you input

Professional tuners typically use EFI live and/or HP Tuners that give them full control over the changes they make which is superior to the devil's tuner.

· Registered
2,798 Posts
The Diablosport handheld programmers come with preset tunes on them... for 87/89 octane and for 91/93 octane... as well as preset tranny tunes...

And as mentioned, custom tuning can be done for them as well, using diablosport's tuning software, which is like hptuners/efilive... Custom tunes are created using their tuning software, and then you'd import the custom tune files into the diablosport handheld programmer, and then you'd connect it to your vehicle again and select/install the custom tunes. Custom tunes are created based on real-world driving data from your specific vehicle, because you record data logs of your vehicle using the Diablosport programmer...

You asked about what is the best handheld programmer out there... That's the DiabloSport inTune i3 8245/8246 Platinum, and the Trinity T2 EX 9245/9246 Platinum programmers.

They have more functionality, adjustability, better data logging, and the Diablosport preset tunes that come on them are better and give more improvement than any hypertech tool does.

Have a good weekend.

-Lew

· Registered
26 Posts
A DiabLew tune is the best thing I've ever done to my truck. Makes the truck come alive and drive the way it should have from the factory. it's not going to give you a bunch more power but it greatly improves the driveability and the way the transmission shifts.
GM had to meet EPA/CARB/CAFE standards, you don't. That's the reason many vehicles are dogs when they leave the factory.

· Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Technically, tuning should not interfere with emissions standards according to the EPS cause if one modified they vehicle in such a way to interfere with Federal Emissions Standards... one can get up to 10 years of vacation at a Federal "Resort"

Tuning should make a vehicle more efficient which would not interfere with emission standards or equipment.

· Registered
174 Posts
If you are not wanting to go with a Lew tune, then pony up, buy EFI Live, and go have fun. Other than going thru Blackbear (if they are still around) its the only way you are going to get a worthwhile tune outside of Lew. Handheld tuners are ok, but a whole laptop with EFI Live will open doors you never knew existed before.

· Registered
174 Posts
I don't even run a Lew tune, but have been privy to his work. Lew, Blackbear, Or EFI Live are the only true ways to get a tune worth anything.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
4,539 Posts
HP Tuners and EFI Live aren't handhelds with canned tunes.

Technically EFI Live is but that's only technicality.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts