Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys.

My 01 Silverado has a REALLY tough time starting in the winter. Its not bad in the summer, but in this cold weather it gets tough. I replaced the battery last winter, and it worked great for a while. But days like today I walk out and try to start it, and it has a really tough time. I had the alternator tested at Oreilly's and they said that was good. What else could it be? Also when I start my truck, it whines like the belt is going bad, or that the alternator is charging. Any ideas?

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
My guess is that the starter is going bad on you.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GR2017 said:
Does it start normally if jumped to another vehicle? Does it start normally if left on a charger over night (2 amp or 5 amp rate)? How are you keeping the battery properly charged?
I haven't really tried those things, since it starts on its own. I can try and leave it charged overnight tonight on a battery charger. I don't ever charge the battery since it seems to charge on its own (during the summer, not so much the winter)

16,428 Posts
Is it hard starting and making noise when you start it soon after it had been running and warmed up? Or only when cold?

· Registered
1,024 Posts
ive seen a few times that these auto stores say things like your battery / alt is fine.. and it still ends up being the problem.

i put my bet on the alternator. and if you change it out.. just go ahead and buy a new belt (they arent that expensive) and throw it on.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dRewville said:
ive seen a few times that these auto stores say things like your battery / alt is fine.. and it still ends up being the problem.

i put my bet on the alternator. and if you change it out.. just go ahead and buy a new belt (they arent that expensive) and throw it on.
Might look into upgrading to the 130 amp alternator if Im going to replace it anyway.

16,428 Posts
Yes, I would probably go with an upgrade if I was replacing a 130amp alternator as well. However, I think you should do a little more testing/research to get a better feel for that being the problem you are experiencing now.

· Registered
104 Posts
Just a thought here but maybe you have something in your truck that is drawing some juice that is not suppose to be. Wouldn't be noticeable in the summer really unless it sits for a long time because of the temperature but with the cold weather it could be happening just over night.

16,428 Posts
Have you had the battery tested? I realize that it is only a year old, but they come with warranties for a reason. If they all lasted 5 years or more, there would be no need for a warranty.

Seems like focusing on the battery is the right way to go at this point.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
esox07 said:
Have you had the battery tested? I realize that it is only a year old, but they come with warranties for a reason. If they all lasted 5 years or more, there would be no need for a warranty.

Seems like focusing on the battery is the right way to go at this point.
Might have to check into that, I did buy it from walmart. I knew it wasn't a top of the line option, however it was a quick fix at the time.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi jmoore19,

I live in Northern BC where temperatures can fall below -25C for more than a month. I had a 2002 Sierra that would crank and crank and crank, and never start. One thing that worked was to release and then quickly re-engage the ignition. This would "catch" the starter and it would fire right up. However, that wasn't a solution.

I had my alternator and battery tested at a local shop. The report showed that everything was fine. However, I could hear alternator whine when receiving transmissions on my VHF radio, so I knew something was up.

I bought a new alternator and slapped it on. In doing so I brushed the crud out of my battery terminals. After that, the truck would start easily in any temperature. Whether it was my alternator or battery terminals isn't quite clear. But those are two things that you could check because even when they seem "fine" they could still be casuing problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.