Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The urban legend of potentially melting a grill due to offroad lights being mounted directly behind it has been around for at least 25 years (that's about when I first heard it) and probably longer. However with the typical 5"-6" 55w lights, I think it's probably more likely that you'd melt your map light first.

With that said however, I've got a set of 8" Daystar (currently 55w, may upgrade them to 135w down the road) that I'm considering putting behind the grill. I've verified that they'll fit but as I stood staring at the massive lens sitting directly behind the grill, the old stories started popping back into my head.

I'm not terribly worried about the 55w bulbs, but I'll admit, the 135w have me a little nervous right now. So has anyone ACTUALLY seen evidence of offroad lights overheating a grill, or is this a pure fantasy that has never actually played out?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
What is the benefit of mounting behind the grille instead of in front or even in the grille? Isn't the grille going to cut down on the useful light?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im running 55W behind mine right now and it doesnt even get hot, warm but not hot. so im pretty sure you will be fine as long as you leave some space between them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silvery13 said:
What is the benefit of mounting behind the grille instead of in front or even in the grille? Isn't the grille going to cut down on the useful light?
Primarily it's just a cleaner look. I've done the huge bumpers with piles of lights on the front. I want something a little cleaner with this one (for now).

Erki said:
I doubt they will melt the grill. Especially if you have at least a little air movement.
My main concern is when stationary. While moving down the road, I agree. There should be plenty of air movement to keep everything cool. However... (see next comment)

texan_z71 said:
Im running 55W behind mine right now and it doesnt even get hot, warm but not hot. so im pretty sure you will be fine as long as you leave some space between them.
With the 8" lights, there isn't that much room. It's probably about 1.5"-2" of spacing, which isn't much for, essentially, a pair of spot lights.

At this point, I think I'm going to mount one and temporarily wire it in. I'll then mount a thermocouple on the grill directly in front of the light and hook up a datelogger to it to see what I'm looking at. Honestly, I think it's going to be the only way to verify this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.