Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some different options about tinting or blacking out my headlights. I have decided to tint my headlights instead of buying aftermarket ones due to me being able to use some household products, and save $200 or more. Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction for a tutorial on how to properly paint the inside of my headlights and how to seal them back together, etc? That would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
There is a video on here somewhere, maybe try youtube ?!?! Or search google and it may direct you back to this sight. The 'bake' method isn't for the faint of heart IMO. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to try it. But several on here have with great results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been looking, but for some reason all I get are videos for taillight tinting (Which I've already done haha) and people smoking them from the outside of the lens and wondering why they can't see at night! Hopefully someone has done this before and see my post but thank you for the help Jim!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, thanks Jim for the help! Now I am getting somewhere!

·
Registered
706 Posts
baking em is easy.. set oven for 200 degrees and cook em for 10 minutes or so. They will be hot so have a good set of welding gloves or heavy leather gloves to handle them. Then just pry tabs and pull apart. when your finished painting time to reseal. If you were careful taking apart the old sealant is all thats needed to reseal, just reheat same time and squeeze 2 halves together. If you have spots where old sealant is missing then i use tome permatex black silicone. I also add a silicone bag in each headlight to absorb the moisture in the lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen that method and like you said, if you're careful, it should turn out really nice! I wanna just VHT NightShade the inside of the housing where the turn signal is and everything else and leave the silver on the inside where the focal points are for the low/highs alone! Hopefully it'll turn out really nice! Thanks Steve!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Semi! Hopefully I can just get my hands on a OEM from a wrecked model first and try it out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And thanks Steve! Trust me, I will! Hopefully it'll turn out clean looking!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I did this I had no visibility and had to buy OEM headlights again. I would consider leaving them alone or buying the black chrome ones that have a little more reflecting effect. That's just my opinion, but I always have to try things myself anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that's what people have told me but I think I have a way around it! Thank you for letting me know about the visibility problem Odarevlis!

·
Registered
32 Posts
NP, I'm not the naysayer type. I just thought I would put in my two cents. It could have very well been something I did in the process. I look forward to seeing your pics and hope it works out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand you there! And hey, we all do, don't worry about it! And do you have pictures of yours? I would like to see them if you don't mind!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lost the pics in a house fire. I had some really awesome pics that would have been great on this site. Don't forget to post your pics when you are done. I might have to revisit this if yours turn out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry to hear about the fire man. Hopefully they'll turn out nice, and I can help a lot of people out by saving money!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.