Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a spectra premium heater core for my 2000 sierra sle.Has no center floor counsel,i mention this because i was asked if the truck had one since there was a different part number for pickups with floor center councels.Napa and autozone only carry spectra and had asked me about the floor counsel so i bought from autozone because of the lifetime warranty.
Upon positioning the core for installing in the box,i noticed the supply tubes did not line up.My question is it ok to turn the tubes to the proper position and will they leak? The spectra part number is 394204 which is the number autozone uses.If I can turn the tubes abuut a 1/4 turn, they would match the original exactly.Has anyone done this and did not have any leaks?All input appreciated.

THANKS
TAHOE

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Do not turn them, they will most likely leak. My opinion is to use a good quality part that has the inlet and outlet tubes brazed in instead of relying on a crimp and an o-ring. I really do not like having to pull the dash out a second time to redo a repair that would not be necessary if a good quality part had been used the first time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ASTE 25,I looked on rock auto,and napa ,autozone,O'reillys and the original core from g.m. that came with the truck,bought it new, i am the original owner,all have o-ring crimped tubes,no aluminum brazing.The lower core leaked,not the tubes where they connect at the crimp.I agree,aluminum brazed would be better,could not find any. The only other option was a custom made brass/copper unit at a cost of $450.00 and a 2 month wait,and they needed the original core. Did not want to leave the truck apart for 2 months. Well lets hope it does not leak. Thanks for the input,

Tahoe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called spectra and talked to a tech person and asked if it's o.k. to move the tubes for proper positioning,he said they were designed for that very reason.I also asked about the tubes being slightly loose and was told that was normal.He assured me that they would not leak and are throughly tested.My original "OEM" core had crimped tube seals and did not leak only the lower core after 148000 miles.
The core is installed,no leaks,plenty of heat,and hope it lasts for some time.A lot of work to install but worth it and saved my self $800.00 ,dealer estimate started at $900.00 plus flush system,replace hoses and new antifreeze and thermostat ,required for warranty reasons.
For members that need to replace thiers,it's doable,allow 2 days,take your time,document all bracket and screw locations,even with this I had 2 screws left over,keep them in the glove box just in case there is a next time.

TAHOE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.