Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to introduce myself in my first post, I know typical forum etiquette calls for it.

Owner of '96 C1500 P/U 2wd 5.0L 5sp with 220k miles of rustbelt glory. :lol:

Truck has what appears an engine swap (ALDL port does not communicate w/ ECU) and lots of shade tree mechanics in the history of underhood repairs. She runs well though and after I worked out a few kinks I trust her.

I come here in search of help/support with tasks. This thing is rusty and wore out! I'm a skilled maintenance tech/all around DIY'er so I don't need anyone to hold my hand, but some tasks are easier done w/ a good clue and some helpful tips and I appreciate the help when I need it!

Most recently I decided it was time to figure out why it felt as if there were NO rear brakes at all. I'd been putting that off because I come from a performance car oriented background which sheltered me from the ancient ways of drum brakes... and I'll admit it, I was scared! lol

Well, I'll let that end up being post #2 because WOW did I bite off a bit more than I could chew.

·
Registered
2014 LTZ 5.3 6 sp
6,878 Posts
Hello and welcome from Truro Nova Scotia > nice intro . and post up some pics when you get a chance > GL with the upgrades / repairs >>>

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Welcome to the best site in the world for Silverado and Sierra owners!

There is an abundance of knowledgeable people on this site who will hopefully be able to steer you in the right direction!

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a little work ahead of you there, post up your questions and we've got lots of members that can help..Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Welcome Aboard! :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Welcome to the site. The brake lines are known for rusting out. hopefully someone didn't "fix" a rear brake line rust problem by just blocking off the rear brakes lines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ASTE25 said:
Welcome to the site. The brake lines are known for rusting out. hopefully someone didn't "fix" a rear brake line rust problem by just blocking off the rear brakes lines.
Thankfully no, but there are remnants of old brake lines that got hacked up or replaced but never removed scattered throughout the underbody. lol

I buttoned up the rear brake rebuild job tonight, got my new transmission mount on, checked the oil and about had a heart attack. Was about a quart over full. YIKES! Thankfully before throwing tools or anything began I remembered I'd put a quart of ATF in there to help shut up a noisy lifter.

Changed the oil, took her for a spin - soooooooooo that's what it's like to stop a 4,000# truck with all brakes functioning properly. I didn't even need to change my underwear!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I was just emailing a guy back and forth about a trade deal w/ my truck plus $2,000 for his '03 Silverado 4.3L 5sp longbed with 115k miles. I might do it!

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Project84 said:
I was just emailing a guy back and forth about a trade deal w/ my truck plus $2,000 for his '03 Silverado 4.3L 5sp longbed with 115k miles. I might do it!
Sounds like a no-brainer if it's in good condition and not a rebuilt wreck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thing isn't hitting any tracks. The frame would snap if I dumped the clutch too hard. lol

Damn I sure do love the GM hydraulic clutch though, this and my '94 Z28 both have hydraulic clutch and when you bleed them and set them properly they are so firm! Nothing worse than a sloppy weak clutch pedal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Welcome to the site! I too am afraid of Drum brakes… the last time I helped with them it was on my Moms Dart about 35 years ago, and I was just the tool boy/flash light holder for my dad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was like opening a can of worms. Then the parts store hardware kit came with everything except e-clips to secure the parking brake lever to the shoes...

Honestly though, after I did one side, the 2nd side took 1/2 the time. I'm not afraid anymore!

I went ahead and did the drums on my 120k mile Saturn commuter car first, assuming they'd be less rusty and a good platform to learn from. I'm glad I did that because the drums on my truck were thrashed!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.