Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all you Veterans....

I just got a 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L 4x4 ext cab. Upgraded from an old 89' GMC Sierra Step Side 4wd. I needed a new truck since my Sierra was a regular cab, and my wife and I are expecting our first child around Christmas time.

LOOOOOOOVE my "new" truck. ITs a HUGE change from my GMC, in all the good ways. The 2004 is all stock, and SUPER clean. I love it, but the truck just seems to sit a little low in the front for my likings. I used to have a Jeep with 4'' suspension lift and a 2" body lift, sitting on 33"X12.5" BFG mud terrains, Warn winch, lockers....etc, which I off roaded all the time. My wife wouldn't let me get another Jeep, and the Silverado was just more practical....We are a GM family, and I do not regret MY Z71 choice AT ALL! I just feel that, even though I am going to be a new dad, It doesn't mean I can't still have a little fun....

So I got my truck on Friday, and the first thing I did was order a TRAXDA 2.5-3'' Torsion Key lift with 1'' rear block kit, along with Bilstein 5100's (front shocks for 0-2.5'' lift, rears for 0-1'' lift)from AutoAnything.com Long story, but my dad had ordered Bilstein HD's for his '10 Sierra. Dad loves them,so he told me to order the shocks, but bypass the leveling kit and go with 5100's which are RHA. Long Story short, and a bunch of phone calls later, I find out Bilstein doesn't make RHA's for my model year. I kept my Bilstein order, and went ahead with the Torsion key lift from Traxda.

What I want to know is........Am I going to notice much of a difference in my truck? what is the best setting to put the lifts on? What size tires can I fit with this setup? What upgrades should I look to for the future?

Im a little new to the whole Silverado thing, and I appreciate any opinions/advice.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Well lets help both of you out here. For one the front shocks won't fit your truck so you will have to order a set that will fit. You can install the keys if you want but you can also crank your original keys and get it real close to level but I won't go over two inches of lift or the CV, ball joint and tie rod ends get to be to much and the ride will be rougher than a wild bronco. My suggestion would be crank your stock keys to max, install some 5100's that are for your truck front and rear, forget the rear block as you will never get it level with a taller one installed. Then get a set of 285/70R16's for your oem wheels and call it a day. Here was what my 06 looked like with 17's on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shocks won't fit my truck?? I talked to the people at AutoAnything.com and they said the shocks I ordered were for a 2004 z71. The RHA were only for newer model years, but the shocks I had placed on my order were only for replacing stock shocks, yet would accommodate a lift of up to 2.5in on the front and 1in in the rear.....That is when I decided to max out the Bilsteins I ordered with the Traxda 2-3'' torsion lift and rear blocks...

your truck looks bad ass with the 285's. had you done anything to the suspension?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my fault, the first post I had is a little unclear......

When I said, "I kept my Bilstein order," my initial order was for 5100's, for my model year, but I only found out later that they weren't RHA and would not raise the front end at all. Instead of completely canceling my order for the shocks, I stayed with the order, and went ahead with the torsion lift in order to raise the front end and also replace my current shocks

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Oh my mistake I thought you still had the adjustable's for the NNBS on order, the ones you have coming should be fine if AA looked them up for you. I didn't do anything other than crank up the oem keys and not even to max because I tow that trailer so I didn't want it drooping in the rear when doing so. That truck had KYB shocks on it but the 5100's are better. Sure you can crank the front end 3-3.5 inches but the angles are junk the truck rides like crap because you have no more downward travel left in the control arms and they are smashed into the bump stops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are pics of my 2004 z71 5.3L 4x4 currently. you can see that it sits a little low to the front, as it is still all stock. I will post pics after I add the Traxda 2.5-3" Torsion and 1" rear block lift, along with the Bilstein 5100's which accommodate. I am sure they will ride like a DREAM as compared to the '89 Sierra. My hope is to add larger tires some time in the future since the ones I have now have less that a 1/3 tread life left.

WildChevy, what is the max size tire you think I will be able to fit after I do the suspension changes?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Wow very nice looking truck you have there. It will look great after you get it up where you want it. I would go with 285/75/16's which are a 33.1 inch tire in the Cooper STT line up. Any bigger and you may start rubbing when turning in and out of the driveways. I like having my trucks a little on the milder side which keeps them fully functional and you do have to worry about the wife driving it and complaining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.