Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in need of a new set on my '06 1500 Sierra.

I currently have the Nitto Crossteks and my honest review of them is that they are crap. The mileage is decent...not great...I've gotten about 50k out of them. My biggest grip is the traction. I have never felt more unsafe than with this tire. The littlest bit of rain and acceleration and they are spinning. I would like to mention this truck has 206k miles and is bone stock, and that is just feathering the throttle.

Now, what I'm looking for. Ever since I picked up some ATVs a few years ago, my truck never sees mud. It is strictly a daily driver/commuter car (yea i know, I'm stupid with the amazing 17 MPG i get...it gets worse). I live in central VA and commute to Northern VA, 90ish miles...each way. Half of this is country road, the other half is doing ~80MPH on I95. So basically the qualities I am looking for would obviously be good mileage and long treadlife. I also would like a "somewhat" all terrain tire, as while VA isn't famous for its winters, it CAN get bad, and due to people being paranoid, and the plow drivers not knowing how to plow, the roads can get pretty hazardous.

Sometimes the truck is used for work, and while I don't need mud ready tires, being able to pull something heavy on non paved surfaces does happen.

I'm currently looking at the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain, as from a couple reviews I've read, people have gotten up to/over 70k out of them. I just wanted to get peoples opinions on this, and I'm absolutely open to other suggestions. Trying to stick in that price range tho since as you can expect with driving that far every day, money is tight.

thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah those Rugged Terrains would do well. Or step-up in offroad traction would be the All-Terrain TA KO's from BF Goodrich.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you're not off roading, you can't buy a better tire than the Michelins.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got the AT II's and I love them. In 2wd I never spin out on turns even when I really hit the gas. They also have a 65k warranty and are very quiet on the highway. Gas mileage is good also!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had the LTX M&S before and they got me up and down the I-95 a few times.

I currently have the General Grabber AT2 and love them. Hard to beat at $180/tire for the ones I bought. It's a capable, quiet, and hard wearing tire.
They also make a Grabber in an HT tread that looks smooth. Have not tried them though.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
My vote is Michelins for mostly highway driving. They have great traction and wear better than any other tire I have ever had. I traded my 04 blazer in on my 2013 Silverado and the blazer had 65,000 on the Michelins. When I traded it, the first thing the dealer noticed when he looked at it for trade in value was the tires. He said, "Oh, Michelins and they are almost new". They did look nearly new...seriously. I think I would have gone over 100,000 with them. I have BFG's on the new truck and like them also but only 9,000 miles so far and they haven't seen snow yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In the mkt for new rubber myself....Im leaning towards at Toyo OC ATII's. Good reviews all over. 65k warranty.....Also looked at Nitto Terras, Mickey T STZ and Cooper LTZ. 180mi every day is going to kill any tire. I CAN tell you my factory 265 70 17 GY Wrangler at/s have 34000 miles on them and the shoulders are flat. My fault not the tire. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Sparkyz: yep, 180 miles a day will eat up tires. BUt I am guessing that 90% of that is highway miles which should be a lot easier on tires than city miles. I would lean towards a tire with good road qualities in lieu of an off road tire also. That is unless you do a lot of off roading as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.