Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....I am in the process of changing all the cooling system hoses, flushing and replacing the coolant on my 2003 Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison. It has 147K miles and I'm pretty sure all the hoses have never been changed. I removed the coolant recovery tank and gave it a good flush with a garden hose sprayer. It cleaned up nicely and I then noticed a 4 3/8" piece of tubing inside. Looks like it's been in there awhile judging by the color of it and it has some 2 wear marks about half way up, like it was pinched inside of the housing.
Is this normal? Does a tube belong inside there? If so what does it do? Any help will be most appreciated. If you have replaced a recovery tank in the past did you see a tube like this inside of the new tank? WTF?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
An random piece of tubing? No, it should not be in there. It could part of an overflow path, or possibly just something a previous owner had used during service, and dropped in there, and was unable to get it out. As long as it didn't block the flow, it wouldn't really pose a problem. But with you taking it all apart, I would shake the tube out and toss it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An random piece of tubing? No, it should not be in there. It could part of an overflow path, or possibly just something a previous owner had used during service, and dropped in there, and was unable to get it out. As long as it didn't block the flow, it wouldn't really pose a problem. But with you taking it all apart, I would shake the tube out and toss it.
Thank you for the feedback. I removed it. BTW....to clean the tank I bought a gallon of ZEP Calcium Lime and Rust remover at HD, filled the tank and let it soak overnight in the garage sink. Did a real nice job cleaning out all the crud. With the old coolant flushed out and all new hoses installed (including that little guy that sits on top of the water pump) I used OEM Tools Airvac Coolant Refiller (find it on Amazon) to test the system. Held steady 25 in vacuum collapsing hoses no problem for a couple of minutes. With no leaks then completely refilled in under 60 seconds. Done. Worked fantastic. I highly recommend this tool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts