Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have some JDM HIDs in my truck and last night the passenger side low beam went out on it. I thought it was maybe just the bulb burned out (even tho they are only about 6 months old) but I went inside and came back out and it was on. So I shut the truck off and when I turned it on this morning it was out again... I checked the fuses and connections and I cannot get it to kick back on for the life of me. I had them professionally installed at a very high end shop (my truck was parked next to a lamborghini, a bentley, and a ferrari), so I find it hard to be something with the installation but maybe it is. They are the JDM slim balast kit I got from I think hidkitwarehouse or something like that. Any of you guys have an idea what it could be? Im leaving for out of town tomorrow and I dont want to be running without a headlight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok well reading up on it I read that it could be the ballast going bad on it... So I swapped the high and low beam balasts to check and now both of them work. Is this a sign of one of the ballasts going out?

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Possibly. If you leave the highs on for a while, do they stay lit? If not, that ballast is probably going to blow soon. Do you have a relay, or are they direct wired into the existing system?

And as you bought them at place A, but installed place B, place B probably has nothing for you. And some places are big sellers of kits, but have zero warranty service..

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Yep your ballasts need to be replaced. If they installed them correctly you should be able to just get the new ballast and plug it in and throw the old one out. But the passenger side SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I tried that, still think its easier to pull the headlight in that situation. The drivers side you can just reach right in. now i mounted my ballast way high so hopefully if i disconnect the top of the air box i can pull the ballast if needed. I have had decent luck since i replaced it twice, ironically never replaced the drivers side.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a cold air intake so all I have to do is take the filter off and they are right there :). I contacted the place where I purchased them cause they do have a 1 year warranty on the ballasts but I just put the good ballast on the low beam and will run without the high beam for now. It works when I first plug it in but after I shut the truck off and turn it back on its out. It just sucks that it didnt last even a year before it went out... Are ballasts know for that?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
You have them on the high beams?

The ballasts are the weak spot, ddm tuning is a decent cheap set once your Warranty is out. But the ballasts really don't like on off on off function. They typically flicker as they are heating up to begin with

Also did you disable drl? That's a waste of ballast life. I used a relay and threw my drl over to running lights instead which also run my angel eyes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not disable my drl... going to have to look into that and might have too look into new ballasts because this place I got my kit from doesnt seem the brightest. And yeah I have 2 ballasts for each headlight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
most of the time I just find its a loose connection, it doesn't take much. Aftermarket is never perfect. The only way to narrow it down is to interchange the parts. Trade ballast for ballast, etc. The ballast is what ignites the bulb, so it is more likely to go first, the cap just stores power, so they dont flicker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.