Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see high mileage oils on the shelfs from some top brands. What is the difference in the formulation between the standard oil and the high mileage? I have read in several places that one extra additive is to rejuvenate seals that may be cracked or drying out, or are being deteriorated. What other additives are in the high mileage engine oil that is either not in the standard oil or there is less of that additive in the standard oil formulation?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Although I haven't confirmed they say it contains detergents to help clean..

WELL ENGINE OIL CONTAINS DETERGENTS. Maybe high mileage contains more?

I'm running a 10 year test on an engine with excessive!!! oil changes....Trying to see sludge differences. Guess you could call it a bored auto hobbyist game I guess..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
It would be interesting to send some samples to Blackstone and see if there really is any difference in new oil, hi-mileage vs. regular.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
It should show differences in anti-wear additives, detergents, etc., if there is any.

Reactions: peewee0413

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,075 Posts
From what I have understood about high mileage oils is Yes they contain more detergents but mainly to keep the seals soft and avoid drying out and cracking thus leaking.
Old school was to add a quart of transmission fluid to your oil a hundred or so miles before draining.
Trans fluid is heavy with detergents.
Try actually going to the manufacturers web site and see what they say. What makes their high mileage oil stand apart from the rest.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
From what I have understood about high mileage oils is Yes they contain more detergents but mainly to keep the seals soft and avoid drying out and cracking thus leaking.
Old school was to add a quart of transmission fluid to your oil a hundred or so miles before draining.
Trans fluid is heavy with detergents.
Try actually going to the manufacturers web site and see what they say. What makes their high mileage oil stand apart from the rest.
I dunno.. Is it safe to use automatic transmission fluid as an engine flush?

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,081 Posts
It would be interesting to send some samples to Blackstone and see if there really is any difference in new oil, hi-mileage vs. regular.
Somebody could just take the initiative and email Blackstone and ask them what the difference is......and I'd bet they know and they'd tell you.
I vote you, Gary!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I always thought the high mileage oils were of a heavier viscosity that occupied the now wider bearing spaces in older motors. This would bring up the oil pressure to extend the life of the motor . . . . ???????

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I always thought the high mileage oils were of a heavier viscosity that occupied the now wider bearing spaces in older motors. This would bring up the oil pressure to extend the life of the motor . . . . ???????

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
No, high mileage comes in regular viscosity too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YMMV, obviously, but I started using Valvoline Maxlife in my 1994 Ford Taurus SHO because it was leaking oil quite a bit but not from anywhere easily accessible. I was attempting to sell it at the time and an oil drip wouldn't help so I tried Maxlife and within 200 miles or so, the leaks stopped completely. When the sale didn't go through and it sat for weeks at a time, the leak would return. So, I am a firm believer in high mileage oil and use Valvoline more or less exclusively today. But honestly, other than higher mileage cars, I really think changing the oil when the manual or vehicle computer tells you to is the best way to keep the engine running strong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts