Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the site and have been a proud 2000 chevy 2500 extended cab long bed owner for some time now. i was wondering if anyone out there knows how to squeeze a few more horse power out of this old engine. i'v already put a custom exhaust and air intake on her. any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i wasnt looking to spend that much, im gonna invest in one of those after a while. this chip from g force that is going around. anyone used/know anything about that? or if it is what is says?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
You'd be better off saving the money for a better tune than just a generic chip

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
usually chips arent that good. they usually permanently mess with reading to the computer..this sometimes does more harm then good.

a tuner, better wires, plugs, CAI, Exhaust, Performance Y pipe, free flow cats, headers, FAST intake, larger throttle body, larger injectors, supercharger, better coils, better roller valvetrain, better oils (IE: Royal purple everything), stall torque converter, shift kit, lower gears......etc etc

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
hahaha.. those chips are garbage man.. snake oil.. don't waste your money... you know what they say about "if something sounds too good to be true..." ;)

to program/tune the truck correctly, you want to get a flash programmer, like the diablosport inTune or Trinity...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
No replacement for displacement, well kind of...

There's boost, drivetrain gear ratios, bore/stroke and just flat-out drug-injection (N2O).

It all costs (big) money. While little bolt-on things like an air filter, muffler, and the relatively slight changes you can get from a tune are all easy enough to do and simple to do yourself, they all simply do not compare to what a supercharger, stroker, optimal axle gear ratio per trans and tire size, or N2O can do.

I'd start with a properly matched gear ratio to tire size. If you have something like a 3.07:1 ratio, you would enjoy going to 3.73:1 or 4.10:1- WAY more torque. I would not hesitate to go 4.10:1 on 265 (31-32") tires. I find the power with 265s, 3.73:1 gears and the 6L90 trans to be fine, but would have gotten 4.10:1 gears if the same truck with that was sitting at the dealer. $1000-1200 for a front and rear re-gear job with parts.

Supercharger- $7-8k, but would you like +100HP for starters?? That'll get you there.

Nitrous kit- $500-1000, but prepare to damage your engine and drivetrain. Not for constant use, just occasional blast-off.

Stroker- bored .30 over, new heads, lots of time, but you can hit 500hp out of the 6.0L.

..So save your $$$ for the things that REALY deliver performance. If the 6.0L is just not enough, there's always the 8.1L.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.