Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Accelerate more gently and cruise at a lower speed. Be aware that unless an adjustment has been made, your speedometer is off a bit now with the larger tires. So the same indicated speed is actually a higher real speed than before. So, when it says 60 mph on the speedometer now you are really going 63, instead of 60 (for instance).

Plus what wildchevy said. The more weight, the lower the fuel economy. And I understand that rotating mass (wheels/tires) hurts more than non-rotating mass.

But I think your best bet is to buy a cheap, fuel efficient economy car for commuting and running around, and stop calculating the gas mileage on your truck. Whether you get 12.5 or 13.5 mpg on the truck, either way, it's going to suck.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
You can buy a tune which may add up to 2-3 mpg's and also it you can correct for your tire size, which will reflect better mpg's, if your using your readings from the dic or doing them by hand...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gearing, intake, exhaust, tune. Tune will most likely help the most unless you're running 37's with 3.08 gears lol. Just remember, if you want to do ONE thing and one thing only, do the tune.... but if you want to do intake/exhaust, do those first so you don't have to retune.

Buy the right tires. Unless you absolutely need aggressive off-road tread, consider a more highway-friendly tire like a Michelin LTX. You can get away with some extra tire height if tire is lighter in comparison to the others you're looking at and is actually made for the highway. My 33.0" 285/65r18 Toyo's cost me 5 mpg's.... probably could have gone with 33.2" 275/70r18 michelin ltx at2's and I would have been hurting a lot less.

Be easy on the pedal. Don't worry about rpm's so much, the %throttle open is directly proportional to how much money you're throwing out the window. Take off gradually, slowly roll up to stop lights when possible so you don't have to always come to a complete stop. The best way to go up a hill is to gently increase speed before you get to it and coast through most of it without throttle. Use cruise control, accelerate gradually, avoiding using throttle so much while going uphill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oceanwaves said:
Gearing, intake, exhaust, tune. Tune will most likely help the most unless you're running 37's with 3.08 gears lol. Just remember, if you want to do ONE thing and one thing only, do the tune.... but if you want to do intake/exhaust, do those first so you don't have to retune.

Buy the right tires. Unless you absolutely need aggressive off-road tread, consider a more highway-friendly tire like a Michelin LTX. You can get away with some extra tire height if tire is lighter in comparison to the others you're looking at and is actually made for the highway. My 33.0" 285/65r18 Toyo's cost me 5 mpg's.... probably could have gone with 33.2" 275/70r18 michelin ltx at2's and I would have been hurting a lot less.

Be easy on the pedal. Don't worry about rpm's so much, the %throttle open is directly proportional to how much money you're throwing out the window. Take off gradually, slowly roll up to stop lights when possible so you don't have to always come to a complete stop. The best way to go up a hill is to gently increase speed before you get to it and coast through most of it without throttle. Use cruise control, accelerate gradually, avoiding using throttle so much while going uphill.
What should i be looking into as far as a tune and what if i wanted to run 37's? I appreciate every bodies help thank you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not to highjack this thread, but I have 245/75/16s (Highway Tread) and was considering going with 235/85/16s (Highway Tread or Duratrac) 85-90 percent road use. Would I stand to gain or lose from my current 13.5 MPG and to what extent?

As far as the OP's question, like everyone said it's all in the throttle...and a tune would definitely help. With my stock sizes I'm getting 13.5-14 staying between 1500-2000 RPM...when I romp on it I get more like 12. And that's with a 324k-old LQ4 and 4L80E...and running just a tad rich...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wish I knew more about different tuners, but people around here will direct you to www.diablewtune.com and for good reason. Lew (06MonteSS) can write you a great custom tune. He has lots of satisfied customers around here, including myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.