Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I usually just hike a "cheek" into the seat and slide over, but (no pun intended) I noticed my seat edges are wearing a little so I bought some nfab steps.

The problem is I cant seem to get the footing and figure out where I hold the door/steering wheel and still feel comfortable especially if I am carrying a lunch box or gym bag or something. I'm a 38 y/o big guy and I have back/knee problems so some ways can cause pain. :oops:

I don't want to wear out my leather seat edge, I've tried different approaches, and I intend to get a suspension lift soon so getting in may get worse or better. This is the tallest truck I have had.

Just looking for some information, I'm sure I will get flamed for this thread, it is not a joke. I saw many of these types of threads on Corvette forum asking so that those old farts can not hurt themselves. :roll:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, I am 6'3" and can easily just step into the truck without using the nerf bars. But, if i do that i usually wind up hitting my head as i enter. So, i now use the steps and sit DOWN into truck and it prevents alot of lumps on my head. Kinda weird but it works.

·
Registered
821 Posts
this is one of the biggest reason why I bought a bumper to bumper extended warranty. And I'm not even joking. My old Yukon, it had leather tho and the seats cracked all over the place. The service guys replaced it under my extended warranty.

Anyways, I'm 5'10 170 pounds. I rarely wear jeans, majority of the time I wear dress pants. I honestly try to get in and out of the truck without sliding and it still wears the seat. I don't think there is anyway to avoid it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have side steps..so I usually try and step up on the sill panel (covered by my weathertech mats) while holding the steering wheel and try and drop my ass into the seat without sliding over the side bolster. Seems to work for me. I hate when I see cracked leather or worn cloth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 6" lift with no nerf bars, so I have to reach up and grab the steering wheel, hike my foot up onto the sill panel, and heave-ho with a pull and a stand-up motion and drop down into the seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My truck is 16 years old and the seat is like new...Of course, the previous 2 owners were a woman and a gay guy, so that may account for something. I expect my seat edge to last a couple of years with my fat azz sliding over it...Then I will throw a blanket on it

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I wish my truck had the a pillar handle on the driver's side......It'll be worse hauling my fattness into the truck when I get a lift, even with the steps I plan on getting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have had the exact same fear that my seats would began to crack on the side due to my "cheek in slide." I figured i would do what was comfortable and if or when it started to look like crap i would either cover it, pay to have it fixed, or be forced to buy a new truck...i know horrible idea ;o)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I stand up completely on the nerf bar and then sit down into the truck. when getting out I stand on the bar and then step down.

it takes a while to get used to doing it this way, but hopefully will keep from wearing out the seats sides.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I am 5-9 and I have nerf bars with stock truck level. It is real easy for me and I dont have to slide in. It seems counter intuitive, but you open the door still facing towards the front of the truck and put your left foot on the nerf bar. Then simply hoist your right leg and your butt in. You should fall right in the middle of the seat and you are good to go. No sliding involved. easy as can be. It was a gymnastics event before I got the nerf bars and finally figured out the best way to use them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stand up on the nerf bar with both feet and then sit (no sliding only a slight turn works). Only problem I've encountered is exiting the truck (I've steppend on my pants a couple times). Can't imagine what would happen if I don't recover from that...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a four foot ladder to get up on the floor board! :mrgreen:

Just kiddin`. I get in my truck pretty much the same way you described. But, I have cloth seats, so I guess these kind don`t wear as fast as leather seats. Mine do not show much wear at all. So, I don`t need nerf boards.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I grab my Oh Sh^t bar and launch myself into my steering wheel causing a noticeable bruise on my right leg because I always forget to raise the column. Then I curse at myself for being forgetful. Rinse then repeat this and you know why I often limp.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i never paid attention to getting in but when i get out i open the door and lock my tows under the door just so a random gust of wind doesnt launch my door in to the rig beside me. had a close call one day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.