Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some tricks you guys have done on keeping the lens on the backup cameras clear of dew and frost. anything to put on it to coat to make it stay clearer? we've had a couple of frosts so far this year and the camera is useless when I go out to leave in the mornings. it's blurry when covered in dew, but still somewhat visible.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
On my Suburban I just wipe the camera lens off after driving in crappy weather (rain really doesn't bother it much though, but it does get covered with snow when driving). As far as frost, I can't help you there because it gets parked in the garage.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Mine is not too bad if it's just raining, although it does get "spotty" once in a while. I really like the idea of the Rain-x though..... I might have to try that out!

Mine is in the tailgate bezel as well.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slw206 said:
What type of camera is it. Is it the one in the tailgate handle or is it a bumper one. I rarely have issues with my tailgate handle camera.
tailgate handle factory camera

it has been covered in dew/fog when the windows were and had some frost on it the couple of cold days we've had here

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for rubbing it in

i'll be parking outside this winter....hopefully before next winter i'l have me a new garage built

garage now is side entry with hedge row on other side of driveway. have to full forward and back about 10 times to get in or out

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Mine gets parked in heated garage, so the frost thing is a non issue on my back up camera. But it all is a non issue anyway as I purposefully avoid using the camera. After $2100 damage to my rear bumper and left rear fender from deciding to actually use the thing when I first got the pickup, I have since made a conscious effort to avoid it and back like I have since starting to drive in the 60's. To think, the last time I did damage to a rear bumper was in the winter of 1973. On this one, within 30 days of owning it. Never will use that blasted camera again for any reason. If I can back a 70 foot commercial semi into some pretty tight areas without hitting something without a camera, I can do the pickup just fine without it. I thought the camera was a neat thing, until the first time I actually used it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my main use for it is to make sure there are no dogs right behind the truck when I am starting to back up. it has helped with a couple of low things that I could not see out of my mirrors.
I make sure to use all 3 mirrors plus the camera when backing up. tried it with just the camera when I first got the truck and almost ended badly

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I could be totally wrong here, but I didn't think the back-up cam was actually to be used fully for reversing. I really just use it to check that blind spot directly behind for kids/shopping carts etc, or to line up a trailer.

I just give mine a quick glance, then as copperhead stated I back up the way I have for 30 some odd years before I got a camera LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.