Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if i'm asking a question that has probably been answered severally times. I have looked and can't find it. I have 2006 that has a non locking tailgate. I want to get a cover and be able to lock the tail gate. Any ideas on how i can do this?

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,463 Posts

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I had a manual locking tailgate. I also put on a bed cover. But, I was continually forgetting to lock the tailgate and would remember while I was in eating dinner or in bed even. So, I would have to go outside and lock it at night. I wondered why it couldn't lock with the door remote. So, I did some checking and there are a couple of after market systems available. There is the Pop and Lock and the Pace Edwards. I purchased the Pace Edwards from autoanything.com with a discount from AJ. It was easy to install and works great but the instructions are really bad. But I got it done and it works great and I love the fact that when I lock my doors, the tailgate is locked also. And it is handy for unlocking when you are carrying stuff out to load up and your arms are full.

A manual lock will cost you about $50. Another $50 or less will get you a power lock.
Here is a link for the Pace Edwards: http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-cov ... 8A0A0.aspx
I think the Pop and Lock can be had from Amazon.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2005 and during the winter I have a lot of Hunting equipment in my truck that I would rather not bring in the house every night. I keep my climber, ladder sticks, boots and outer layer of clothes in a Tupperware in there most of the season. Not to mention I work in Baltimore City!

On Saturday I installed the mechanical Pop & Lock to my tailgate. I picked it up at Amazon for under $50 and installed it in 15 minutes. I know it is not the most secure device but I have a Lund Tri Fold cover on the truck and I lock that from underneath as well. I was going to go with the automatic one for $50 more but decided against it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yingpin said:
I have a 2005 and during the winter I have a lot of Hunting equipment in my truck that I would rather not bring in the house every night. I keep my climber, ladder sticks, boots and outer layer of clothes in a Tupperware in there most of the season. Not to mention I work in Baltimore City!

On Saturday I installed the mechanical Pop & Lock to my tailgate. I picked it up at Amazon for under $50 and installed it in 15 minutes. I know it is not the most secure device but I have a Lund Tri Fold cover on the truck and I lock that from underneath as well. I was going to go with the automatic one for $50 more but decided against it.

Can you tell me if the Pop and Lock prevents a thief from removing the Bezel. All of the other tailgate locking systems I have looked at for the Classic body style provide no way to prevent a thief from simply taking off the bezel and easily circumventing the lock in just a few seconds. I realize that nothing is 100 percent secure, but if a thief can circumvent a locking systems in a few seconds with no tools, that is not much better then no lock at all.

·
Registered
874 Posts
victorb said:
Can you tell me if the Pop and Lock prevents a thief from removing the Bezel. All of the other tailgate locking systems I have looked at for the Classic body style provide no way to prevent a thief from simply taking off the bezel and easily circumventing the lock in just a few seconds. I realize that nothing is 100 percent secure, but if a thief can circumvent a locking systems in a few seconds with no tools, that is not much better then no lock at all.
If you try hard enough you can get into anything. A buddy of mine had his whole D*dge truck stolen so they could take what he had in back, because it was quicker than unloading it and getting caught.

I know you might not want to hear this, but sometimes all you need is something just enough to slow someone down, and they'll move on to something else. Or just make it harder for thieves to see that you have anything in the bed. Back when I had my f*rd I was doing construction and had a whole assortment of tools in my bed under a fiberglass cap. The cap had tinted sliding windows on the sides. I removed the screens from those windows and painted the inside of the windows flat black, it looked just like limo tint on the outside and kept anyone from looking in the bed. I never once locked my cap and never had any problems with something coming up missing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It does not. You're right in accepting that you can't make it 100% theif proof. I think all a guy can do is make it tougher to steel. Put in the lock.. Consider adding a steel hose clamp around the right side of the tail gate pivot that lifts out; position it so it's tough to remove and requires tools. Add a tonneau cover even.. I bought the BAKFlip, not just for this reason, but I've wanted one for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.