Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Silverado with 67,000 miles. In the last year it has developed the common rear fender rust that we see in the northern states. I have been quoted five grand for new box sides, And that body shop didn't even want to try to cut out the bad spots and patch pieces in. I am hoping to upgrade in the next six months. My question is do I spend some money on fixing the rust or do I trade it in as is?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
It will most definitely hurt the value of the truck. Both private sale and trade in.

But you need to weigh the cost to fix it vs the difference in price of what you'll get.

And if your paying $5k for the fix then I doubt you'll get that much more for the truck so it wouldn't be worth fixing it since you'll have just lost that money.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Look up the KBB values. I thought I remember the word "rust" under Good Condition, but I doubt spending $5k will get you $5k back and get into Very Good.

I have Bushwackers on my rears. It's all rusted out under them along the lip. You obviously can't see the rust and you can barely tell there's black plastic hiding it. Magic. ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
If your truck is a more common color, maybe you could find a replacement bed of the same color and switch it out.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
To bad they still did not do the box sides like the older stuff.. bolt on....
Like they said above put some flairs on. If it were me i would sand off the rust and treat it and prime and paint before putting the flairs on.. this way when they look up underneath it looks clean. Just dont go outside of the flairs with your repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.