Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's my plan - I want to fab up a quick release mount on my rear bumper to install a winch for the sole purpose of pulling inoperable cars onto trailers, be it a U-haul trailer or my own when I finally buy one. I have a Schuck 1000 model rear bumper on this truck, which is stronger than anything the factory ever offered, so I don't need to worry about bumper capability. The question I have is, how small of a winch can I get away with? I'm not going to use this thing very often, and I'd rather it be light and easy to pop on and off as needed. I was looking at a cheap 2500 lb. capacity winch from Harbor Freight, my reasoning being it really wouldn't take a lot of power to pull a car onto a trailer if the car rolls easily. But I don't have a lot of experience with winches, so I'm unsure if it will be enough. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
That's too light of a winch in my opinion.

I would want at least a 7500lb rated winch. I mean you could in theory run a pulley setup to help increase pulling power but that's a pain to do every time.

·
Registered
2005 Silverado Crew Cab DRW 6.6
55 Posts
Okay, so here's my plan - I want to fab up a quick release mount on my rear bumper to install a winch for the sole purpose of pulling inoperable cars onto trailers, be it a U-haul trailer or my own when I finally buy one. I have a Schuck 1000 model rear bumper on this truck, which is stronger than anything the factory ever offered, so I don't need to worry about bumper capability. The question I have is, how small of a winch can I get away with? I'm not going to use this thing very often, and I'd rather it be light and easy to pop on and off as needed. I was looking at a cheap 2500 lb. capacity winch from Harbor Freight, my reasoning being it really wouldn't take a lot of power to pull a car onto a trailer if the car rolls easily. But I don't have a lot of experience with winches, so I'm unsure if it will be enough. Any input would be appreciated.
Why not just mount it to the trailer like people have done for years?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I had a 5,000 pound winch on my 3 car trailer years ago. Even pulled an 80s Suburban up to the top without issue. Trailer had an on board battery that was kept charged by the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,899 Posts
You're saying the car would roll easily onto the trailer, but especially with U Haul trailers the ramps going up are quite steep.
I agree with Eric on the winch rating....but having said that, your best bet is really a low-boy car hauler with a winch up front.
My wife's uncle just bought an aluminum one that only weighs 2200#.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just mount it to the trailer like people have done for years?
Only because I don't plan on buying a trailer for quite awhile, so it's going to be U-haul car haulers for the time being. I have a 1998 Firebird Formula project car that I'll need to haul places time to time, and a 2013 Camaro SS that also may need hauling on occasion. I live in an apartment, unfortunately, so I have no place to store a trailer at the moment.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If you want fast, light and easy ... Don't mount it to your bumper.. instead fab a plate mount with tubular/solid steel to slide it into your receiver hitch.. JM2C
I don't think the trailer would take too kindly being loaded without being attached to the truck.

I would weld a receiver mount to the bumper and mount the hitch to that. Then you can do the same thing to the trailer later.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be a great set up if I had anything close to that style of hitch, but I do not. I just plan on fabricating some sort of bracket to mount the winch using quick release pins on top of the bumper, along with a weatherproof plug for power. And I have no issue with Harbor Freight products, especially when it's something that might get used 2-3 times in a year. Why would I want to spend extra money on something that I barely use? So someone on an internet forum doesn't make the comment of, "Harbor Freight? Really?"? Lol. I don't go by what other people say, I go by personal experience. If the winch doesn't work, I'll buy something better. But here's the thing - I always say that, and every single product I've bought from Harbor Freight meets or exceeds my expectations, and I never have to go buy the more expensive product. But back to the topic at hand, I appreciate the input on winch capacities and methods for mounting, I definitely will be going with a larger winch than I first thought would work.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
7,263 Posts
My question is this (and I don't know you or your truck lifestyle from Adam)....You just all of a sudden want to be able to pull cars onto a trailer, hoping that they roll easy. What's the premise behind it? Do you all of a sudden have a friend that has factory stocks that may need a hand from time to time? Are you getting into the repo business? Are you gonna start filling your yard with Frankenstein lawn ornaments to piss off your neighbors? It's just a really out of the blue question with a vague idea.

On your side of the question, if you are going for "on the cheap", I wouldn't go with Harbor Freight, merely because they seem to be pretty proud of what they sell vs price of the competition of a more reputable brand... But that's on you. If you are just looking for ease of movement, you need to look at the weights of winches to include the type and length of cable as well as the type of hooks used as it seems that these two accessories for the winch make up a lot of the weight. Since you plan on possibly moving it just for your needs (whatever those are) you will need to know whether or not you can move it easily from time to time as I've seen (through some quick research) that they can be as little as 40 lbs but up to ~150 lbs.

If it were me and I were you (which luckily you aren't me) I would search winches away from the site on all different forums to see what people are using and their reviews on this type of utility. Winches have, as you could imagine, all different types of uses, from the aforementioned and to include hauling ATVs, motorcycles or an occasional Found On Road Dead. A winch isn't Chevy/GMC specific so the need is broad-based and should include the reviews of all types or people and uses.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,596 Posts
Sounds like the o.p. is planning on occasionally towing 2 specific vehicles, not random ones.

@LS1Formulation , if the vehicles you are towing are going to be raced, they might not always be free-wheeling at the end of the weekend, so you might consider a higher rated winch for those situations...

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
When I first got home I pulled my 74 charger off the uhaul trailer with my small lawnmower. I doesn't take much to pull a car on flat ground with aired up tires or off the trailer. Like others mentioned though pulling up ramps are a different story. I would at minimum get a winch that is the same rating as the vehicle weight or get close to it and set up snatch blocks to help it out.

You will be rubbing on the rear of the trailer at first as well so take that into consideration when selecting the cable/rope used. Dont wont to snag it on anything sharp on the first trip and not be able to load it.

Bumper looks solid best I can tell from there website. Throw up a picture when you can, I would like to see it on the truck.

·
Registered
99 1500 extend cab
231 Posts
I was showing the mount thing I use when using the winch on a dead vehicle. I guess if you could get a piece of square tubing that a hitch could fit in and weld it to your bumper. Harbour freight also has the winch mount I use for my winch and they have a bolt on mount to bolt to your truck that takes a class three square ball mount.
I always have a lockable pin holding my stuff. All it takes are two thugs to pull the pin and steal your set up in less than 30seconds. with rotating doors on jail's these days thugs don't worry about getting caught. I even use pad locks on the trailer tongue latch.
good luck getting set up. And I do understand your engineering.
old Barney

1 - 20 of 43 Posts