Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 1500 extend cab
231 Posts
One ore warning: When I pulled the winch cable out to pull my sons 2500 pick up on a trailer the I found the cable wasn't clamped to the drum oops! I had to replace the stripped bolt and reclamp the cable to the drum. So if you buy any winch run the cable first all the way and make sure it is fastened good. After that don't pay out more than one complete wrap of cable left on the drum. manufacture usually paint a red marker on the cable.
I hope my experience helps someone.

·
Administrator
9,111 Posts
Not true. I was a U-Haul dealer for over 20 years. We rented car haulers and tow dollies to anyone who had a vehicle that could tow it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Same here, ran a U-haul franchise for 10 years, once you input the tow vehicle and the vehicle being towed into the system, it would tell you if it was a viable combination. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to deal with customers insisting that their mid-sized truck or SUV could haul a car hauler with another heavy car on it.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
625 Posts
I have a number (5?) of winches from small Harbor Freight to a way too big hydraulic one.

On small ones, I will mount them on a steel place with D-rings and chain hooks. This allows me to use them to load on my flatbed from the back or side. I have a number of trailers so this allows me to move them around too.

Come up with a mounting system to slip onto the U-haul trailers. Attach quality jumper cables to the winch makes it EZ to attach to any battery. Keep it simple as you only use it once and a while.

I must say my chain come-a-long has never failed me!

·
Registered
04 Silverado C2500 RCLB WT, 98 Silverado K2500 RCLB, 04 Cadillac Deville
36 Posts
`On the subject of UHaul while trying to reserve a car trailer online I had to lie about the year of my truck as they said 98 was too old.98 K2500HD, I was using it to deliver new trailers along the east coast so I know it's capabilities but I understand their logic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, so here's my plan - I want to fab up a quick release mount on my rear bumper to install a winch for the sole purpose of pulling inoperable cars onto trailers, be it a U-haul trailer or my own when I finally buy one. I have a Schuck 1000 model rear bumper on this truck, which is stronger than anything the factory ever offered, so I don't need to worry about bumper capability. The question I have is, how small of a winch can I get away with? I'm not going to use this thing very often, and I'd rather it be light and easy to pop on and off as needed. I was looking at a cheap 2500 lb. capacity winch from Harbor Freight, my reasoning being it really wouldn't take a lot of power to pull a car onto a trailer if the car rolls easily. But I don't have a lot of experience with winches, so I'm unsure if it will be enough. Any input would be appreciated.
In my opinion, that's plenty of winch to roll a car up the ramps. You are not lifting the car. I have used a tow dolly with a hand winch, similar to what you might see on a boat trailer, it was adequate for winching inoperable cars onto the dolly and it was only 1500# capacity.

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rule industries used to make a compact gasoline winch that you could easily hook to the bumper. It had a chainsaw engine, they worked pretty good, I could pull a car sideways in a dirt lot. Don't know if they are still available as Rule was bought out years ago

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
When you pull the lever, the hitch telescopes outward up to 10", and swings side to side up to 12", eliminating the need to be perfectly lined up with your trailer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a great feature, how does it reset? By backing up? I don't think using the lever would be the way to reset a heavy trailer once it's connected. Any idea what the ratings are for the hitch?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts