Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2011 silverado 5.3 vortec that I do a fair amount of towing with. I think weight wise I am well with in my limits of towing (7x14 enclosed with 4 harleys max - about 6k loaded) is the biggest load I will tow. It does an okay job, but seems to struggle to maintain speeds over 60mph and expecially on hills. I don't think the load that I am trying to tow necessitates a diesel, and I have heard that the more horsepower that the ecotec 5.3 puts out seems to help the truck quite a bit in the tow department. Are there any bolt ones that I could do (headers, tune, exhaust) that will make my truck more comparable to a new one? To be honest I am suprised that chevy's main engine for these year trucks are down a minimum of 40hp when compared to the other trucks in that category for the year. Any advice? I really don't want to have to bite the bullet for a new truck becuase I find it kind of rediculous that the truck struggles to tow even 70% of the advertised tow ratings. I do use WDH when towing this amount of weight and keep my paid load numbers way down when possible. I have checked all weights and they are all in within tolerances of what the manual and internet seems to suggest. Not sure if I am asking too much of the truck or what?? Thanks in advance!! Help me not be the slowest tow vehicle on the road please! When I am towing this load it is for far distances (CT to Florida) so the more enjoyable I can make the ride the better.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The truck has the 3.42 6L80 combo in it. I am running 275/70/r18 tires on it that seem to be pretty heavy (general grabber at2) which I am sure probably does not help. The trailer is an all aluminum enclosed 7x14 plus about 4 foot v-nose front. I was thinking of re-gearing, but for the money I am not sure it would really be worth it since the truck is 4wd. It's looking like a tune and a set of long tubes/intake may be my best go to option. I can get most of that for alittle over $1200 which isn't too bad. I just am nervous to do it and still not be happy with the truck. My buddy has a 5.0 F-150 and that thing would out tow my truck like nothing. I know peak hp numbers aren't everything when looking at the overall power of a vehicle but it is crazy that chevy was selling trucks that are down like 50-70 horsepower to the competition.

1 - 2 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.