Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am going to say that since the two batteries are not connected with the engine off you do not need to match the batteries.
When the two are always connected they need to match.

Perhaps I should clarify: Connected together[i/].

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write up, thanks for taking the time to do this. Does this wiring config allow for the aux battery to power the factory onboard 12v accessories. So, if i turn the key to "accessory" my factory radio, 12v outlets will be powered off the aux battery? If not, can someone give me some idea how I can do that?

·
Registered
187 Posts
such a great and detailed write-up. I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I have just a couple of questions. I have a winch that I currently run on a single battery. Some people say run it off of starting battery, others say auxiliary battery. I guess this question for me will be answered in how the auxiliary battery is charging with this setup.

1. How does the charging system work with this set-up? Does it charge the main until it is 13 volts then charge the secondary, or while the truck is running does it charge both batteries at the same time (which means that any draw from auxiliary battery would also draw main battery since they are essentially tied together?)

2. As someone mentioned before, there was a "2nd red wire" that is supposed to go to the isolator...where did the red wire come from?

3. Wouldn't it be better to ground the 2nd battery to the 1st? I keep reading about grounding to frame increasing impedance, or something like that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read this post a while back and told myself i was going to do it, now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, the pictures no longer show on how to do it. I don't know if its my settings, or if the author has to so something with his image hosting. Forgive me, brand new to these forums, and forums in general. The write up is fantastic, i just feel better having some visual aid.

·
Registered
191 Posts
716-z71 said:
I read this post a while back and told myself i was going to do it, now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, the pictures no longer show on how to do it. I don't know if its my settings, or if the author has to so something with his image hosting. Forgive me, brand new to these forums, and forums in general. The write up is fantastic, i just feel better having some visual aid.
came here to say this, all pics from photobucket are no longer working

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,466 Posts
Guys, nothing can be done unless the Original Poster decides to upgrade his photobucket account. Or comes back and uploads pics directly to SS..

Photobucket decided to commit internet suicide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully this article can be sorted. In the meantime, don't waste your money on the Cole Hersee Smart Battery Isolator approach. I have had two of them fail in only seven months and they have no warranty. I will be re-doing my installation when I can figure out some of the details here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
csoldfield said:
I also have the error displayed "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING" for all pictures. Unsure how to resolve.
thanks, Clive
Guys, click on the first photo that displays the Photobucket logo, then follow the link to "dhall9"- Dereck Hall's albums, and open the public album under Truck Projects. Pictures are in a sub folder there. You'll just have to sort through to match the ones up in his thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To Save everyone some trouble, I took the original post and added the original pictures, all in one document.
I take no credit for the post, the pictures or the great original write up. I also have not don't this yet, looking to do it. That is what prompted me to create the document.

As with all other information from the internet, there is no guarantee this will work and it a use at your own discretion. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
this dude deserves some gold stars, i was looking at doing this a couple months ago but to lazy to take the time to do what you did. so for $40 and the price of a battery of your choice this can be done ladys and gents

·
Registered
20 Posts
Timster said:
To Save everyone some trouble, I took the original post and added the original pictures, all in one document.
I take no credit for the post, the pictures or the great original write up. I also have not don't this yet, looking to do it. That is what prompted me to create the document.

As with all other information from the internet, there is no guarantee this will work and it a use at your own discretion. :D
I just saw this PDF and printed it. Thank you for the effort of putting it all in one place.
You can take credit for that!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts