Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am going to ruffle a few feathers with this post because "no one NEEDS the 5160's because rock crawling yada yada yada" but hey, who really NEEDS anything? Anyway, is it possible to run 5160's in the front and 5100's in the rear? I have a 6" RCD lift with 35" Toyo's. I'm trying to stay away from the typical "bro truck" with all the gaudy accessories and was hoping the 5160's would tuck SOMEWHAT discreetly into the wheel well. Orrrrrr should I cater to my slightly OCD mentality and get all 5100's because they are all the same? I hate decisions. :shock:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and of course its possible, but is it advisable? Not trying to do custom brackets or anything dumb. And I already have 5100's all the way around but its time for some new ones. Sorry, should have added that to OP.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
If you already have 5100s why is it time for new ones?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
In my opinion it would not be beneficial to run a mistmatched set of premium shocks. If anything, you might run into differences in rebound rate / dampening, etc. that make one end feel like you toyed with the springs/leafs and floated the other on air.

I'm also not quite feeling your reasoning behind this change - 5100s are great, as you know since you already have a set. Remote reservoir shocks aren't exactly inconspicuous either.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silvery13 said:
If you already have 5100s why is it time for new ones?
They dont last forever. I bought the truck two years ago with the 5100's already on it. Who knows how old they are and what they have been through.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The change is due to me driving it for two years and having that feeling that something in the ride quality is slightly degraded. It's that feeling that something just isnt what it used to be. Also the same feeling that women never get about their cars and drive them until the wheels fall off.
Also time for new ones because I am deployed and have the money for new ones. In my internet browsing spree, I got the wild idea of maybe upgrading to possibly something I didn't need, but merely liked.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hey I get it, if there is any chance that something has degraded it's best to take a look. If you don't intend to be flashy or hardcore offroad though, I don't see a need to 'upgrade' from the top of the line product....your just switching applications not necessarily getting any added benefits. A new set of 5100s all around is my opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rodcheapo said:
Hey I get it, if there is any chance that something has degraded it's best to take a look. If you don't intend to be flashy or hardcore offroad though, I don't see a need to 'upgrade' from the top of the line product....your just switching applications not necessarily getting any added benefits. A new set of 5100s all around is my opinion.
Im with you on this 100%. It's kinda like a kid seeing a toy he's never had, but all of a sudden cant live without lol That's what I get for being bored on the internet with money to spend haha

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
IMHO I have never heard of a 5100 wearing out. Occasional leak or bent shaft from abuse but that's rare too. But its your money, that's what counts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While it may be rare, the truck is a 2006 model year and the lift was installed by the dealership before it left the lot. That means those shocks could be going on 7 years old and subjected to who-knows-what. Perhaps more of a peace of mind, knowing I have new shocks and a clear conscience.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Don't come back and say you got new 5100s unless you have pics. Without pics it never happened. :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha well it'll be a while. I'm ordering them either today or tomorrow and wont get them until mid-January. =(

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Dayum! That's a long wait. :eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silvery13 said:
Dayum! That's a long wait. :eek:
Tell me about it. I'm deployed to Afghanistan until then. I just want my truck... :cry:

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Been there and done that. Be safe over there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 63,000 miles on the truck. I use it for bear hunting. It's in mud,water and rough roads. Front shocks end up blowing a seal and leaking. Last year I broke the springs on both sides so I put a stack of five instead of three and put on 5100 shocks on the back. I probably have 500 pounds in the back of the truck with dog box and dogs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Lefty#1 said:
I have 63,000 miles on the truck. I use it for bear hunting. It's in mud,water and rough roads. Front shocks end up blowing a seal and leaking. Last year I broke the springs on both sides so I put a stack of five instead of three and put on 5100 shocks on the back. I probably have 500 pounds in the back of the truck with dog box and dogs.
Sounds like someone needs to use a dumptruck to haul their stuff instead of a 1/2 ton truck. 500 lbs is nothing in these trucks. how the hell did you break your springs?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
Dangit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did it for you Mike..........and I felt like picking on someone this morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.