Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an 11 1500 z71 LT with the rough country 2.5" leveling kit in it. And while I love the look of it, it rides like crap. Which is to be expected with a cheap lift. But after 25k miles with the lift I'm either tired of the ride or its gotten worse. I'd like to take the lift out and put in the height adjustable Bilstein 5100s in hopes of helping that. So I have two questions.
1. Can I use the height adjustable shocks on both ends or do I need to leave my rear 2" blocks in and use the non adjustable in the rear? You know to keep the look the same.
2. Will this actually improve my ride? And are there any other things I can check/do to improve the ride and handling as much as possible on a truck like this?

PS if this has been answered please direct me to the thread, and thanks for any help you can offer!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Yes it will improve your ride but it will only lift it 1.77in. The rears are on adjustable. You would need to remove the rear blocks or you will have a lot of rake.

Or you can install a high travel UCA to help with suspension travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
594 Posts
If you are looking for a soft on-road ride, I'd reconsider 5100's. They provide a stiffer but controlled ride. There are non-adjustable versions of Bilsteins that ride softer if you want a smooth ride.

You can expect a rougher ride with any level (5100's included) because you have removed a portion of the available down travel from the suspension.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sounds like my best bet to keep close to the same lift but improve the ride at a reasonable cost is upgrading upper control arms and keeping the lift installed? Thoughts on adding sway bars to improve handling?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should've added that, 75k on the truck. It's had its fair share of off road and gravel road miles. That's why I was thinking the Bilsteins, I figured the shocks were about shot and thought that would be a good way to go.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Yeah yours are getting to the end
If their lifespan. You can still ad the 5100s keep them at the stock setting and still use your spacer kit. But even then you're still limiting your down travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so I could keep the lift, get the 5100s set at stock setting, and upgrade UCAs and all of my life's problems would be solved? Haha or is there an easier way to do this?

Ps thanks for all the help guys, i'm not super suspension savvy so I really appreciate it!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay last question...i think...so since I would keep the lift in is there any sense in getting the ride height adjustable 5100s or should i get the standard ones since I'm leaving them at stock height anyway? Do I need to get rough country UCAs because I have a rough country lift or can I get a nicer set?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.