Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 4.8 4X4 Silverado
On my way to Home Depot earlier today when I turned onto the main road and started accelerating my tranny took a shit on me. The truck started jolting back and forth and made a horrible screeching and grinding sound. So I rolled into the parking lot and am sitting here trying to diagnose the problem. In neutral, I hear a small ticking sound when I rev the engine. In drive, with the brakes engaged, I hear no unusual sounds. But in reverse, there is that terrible sound that seems to increase. It's hard to describe but the video shows what happens. The sound is definitly coming from the front of the truck and there is no visible damage. Do i need a new tranny? (please no)
PLEASE HELP. this is my only vehicle which i also use for work. I'm completely screwed without it.
thanks guys

(had a hell of a time trying to get this video on this post)

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Sunshell busted?

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Is the sound coming from the transmission itself? Does the truck move in forward gears?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a good possibility that the sunshell is busted but the initial malfunction happened while in drive. Could it still be relevant?

I wasn't able to really test it in drive because it was parked into the curb and I couldn't go into reverse but when it initially happened on the road I was still able to accelerate to get to the walmart parking lot. It was making that screeching sound tho as I accelerated.

Tow truck is picking it up now to take it to a transmission shop. Only $45 for the tow and diagnostic so that's not bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something major is definitely busted. Not trying to bum you out but just trying to prepare you. If it came to my dealer, Day 1: you'd be looking about 6-15 hours (I think about 8 or 9 on your truck 4x4) of labor to R&I (remove and inspect). Day 2 and possibly day 3: waiting on parts. Day 4: assembly, install into vehicle and test drive. That's just a rough estimate off the top of my head. Just trying to inform you of worst case scenario. "hard parts" for these are fairly cheap. A master rebuild kit (clutches and all seals and steel plates ) is less than 200 from mackotransmissionparts . com. So that's the good side. Sounds like you need it torn apart and inspected to see what parts you'll need. Bad part is, it takes twice as long to get it out of the truck (labor cost wise) than it does to inspect and rebuild it. :p Good luck, I hope all goes well! Keep us informed

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigred that's actually a big relief. I was expecting a ton of labor but for under $200 that is much better than I was expecting. I'm gonna check it out when I get home. I'll let you know what the shop determines the issue

·
Registered
34 Posts
$200 just for the rebuild kit. You're still going to need a few parts beyond the basic rebuild kit. And that $200 like i said is just for the rebuild kit. Not the labor. Like i said, I'd guess 8 to 9 hours of labor and thats 700-1000 depending on where you're at.

Here's a helpful page for you. When the shop calls you and starts to tell you the parts that you need, compare what they say with this website. That way you can see what they're talking about and keep them in check on prices. NOTE: don't pay any attention to anything above the "Master Rebuild Kits" section. You don't need any of that, especially at a transmission specialty shop. http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L60E-4L65E.html

In case you're wondering, this is basically what it looks like inside your trans. Took this last year

487872_332783256823294_2075385544_n.jpg

The thing on the right with square "spikes" pointing up is the sunshell people are talking about. The thing at the bottom right that looks like a UFO is the pump. etc etc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I just bought a jasper transmission for my truck... $2100 installed....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahhhh... couldve went without seeing that last post gmcultr. did you get a rebuilt or brand new transmission? Honestly I'm not trying to go for any kind of upgrade. My long term plan(within the next 4-5 months) is to get a newer truck so basically I'm just trying to get it running again to sell it for a nice down payment. I definitely gave it a good run when i was younger without ever thinking about the consequences. Now I'm stuck with a new check engine light, cooling problem, misfire, alignment issue, wrecked ball joints, u joints grinding, water pump leaking, pulley jamming, pinion seal leaking, idler/pitman arm worn, problems every week. and the list goes on and on. So its time for it to go.

Anyways, called the shop just now. they have the truck, but with closing time in half an hour they wont be able to look at it until tomorrow morning. Thanks alot for the info guys. checked out that site bigred. still don't know what i specifically need for my truck but definitely have a better idea on pricing. I will keep you posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Jasper is a more reputable remanufacturer of transmissions... imo they are better than oem... they have their own custom design parts. I paid for the warranty 3 years 100,000 miles.... I call it new but there are those that would remind me it's a reman

Some people say there's no difference between a reman and a rebuild if the shop is reputable.. but I don't see rebuild shops offering 3yr 100k warranties.

Blaine06 had his transmission rebuilt at aamco and he had to have it back in for service then aamco yanked him around for a month...

For a rebuild I got a quote for $980 locally... 6month warranty... thats pulled rebuilt and stuck back in.

I drive 55-70k miles a year, atleast 1000 miles a week, thats why I opted for the better warranty...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GMCULTR I think you called it with the sunshell. looked up videos on youtube for it and came across this video a mechanic made in his shop. he said the customer complained about no reverse and also no second or forth gear. i didnt make it to forth gear obviously but i remember when i accelerated the problem kicked in when it shifted into second. also when i was sitting in the parking lot and i shifted into drive without moving there was no sound as if first gear was fine. and then of course the video i posted about reverse. in his video he had the tranny pulled out and he took the worn sunshell and gear out. he spun the gear inside the sunshell and it sounded exactly like a slower version of the sound im hearing. hopefully thats the only issue but my problem is do you think i should just have the entire thing rebuilt while they have it pulled from the truck? you think there would even be a big difference in price between just replacing the sunshell or an entire rebuild since they have to pull the transmission anyways?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Hard to make that call for me.... the shop will know best... hopefully they wont just say you need a complete rebuild for the extra $$$. Since you're not going to keep the truck a stock sunshell should be fine but if you were keeping it i'd recommend checking out a beast or sonnax sunshell

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea i'm pretty positive they are gonna try to get an entire rebuild outta me. I'm tempted to just call tomorrow and tell them to replace the sunshell and the gear only. because im dead set on that being the problem. maybe even speed up the process that way. I saw alot of posts about the beast so i'll try to get that one. thanks alot man you probably saved my ass just by mentioning the sunshell.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Sunshell is a real common problem in the 4l60e... common enough that I believe gm should have recalled it... they know a particular set of years was extremely bad and they've changed the sunshell design atleast once since then...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jason, what shop has your truck? Sometimes the lowest price yields a tranny with a short life. Adolph's in Glendale is a top rated shop in Az. since the 1960's and form personal experience fair and dependable. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the shop finally has the transmission off. There's all kinds of problems with it. I dont even remember everything that they told me was wrong with it. Some hard part busted and all the pieces trashed everything. What mainly caused the issue was putting the truck in park/reverse without coming to a complete stop. I didn't think i was that bad with that but i guess over time it adds up... Total cost to get the truck fixed is $2150. Can't afford that so I have to do a 90 finance plan with a fee of $270 to add to the fat total. Trucks going up for sale AS SOON as i get it back. Can't deal with this shit anymore. LIFE SUCKS! :(

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Man... thats a lot for a rebuild... I just couldn't pay that for a rebuild....

·
Registered
751 Posts
At that price I would of gone with a jasper! Like Cory said I had my trans rebuilt and it took aamco a month to get it straightened out and now it's still not 100%! I should of gone with jasper....well good luck man! I hope it all works out for ya! Life's rough sometimes but at least you're still breathing! :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea well it's past the point of no return now.. the only way im gonna get any money from this truck is if i take care of this. I guess you could call it an investment.. any recommendations on a new silverado? I'm almost tempted to try out a tundra.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.