Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there were any common issues like mine out there. My truck is a 2004 silverado 2500hd extended cab with a 6.0l. The truck has had a body control module code since I got it back in July. I forgot what the code was exactly but it had to do with not communicating to the BCM i believe. Never been an issue all ive noticed is that it typically wont do a bulb check until the truck is started. Well tonight i was driving home from work and I have a check engine light, abs light and brake light on. That is normal for me because of an o2 sensor and me pulling the abs fuse. I was driving and out of nowhere the abs and brake light turned off completely and so did my odometer. I didnt think much of it at the time but a few minutes later I went to make a turn. I put my blinker on and instead my 4 ways came on. I put the blinker back to rest and tried it again and it worked fine. But then my entire dash did a bulb check and the lights came back along with the odometer coming on as if i just started it saying "driver 2" shortly after i went to make another turn and the same issue happened. The 4 ways came on them a random bulb check along with the odometer acting up. I have yet to scan the truck since it happened.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Sounds like it might a failing cluster issue that plagues the 2003-2004 years. Total loss of power to the cluster is usually circuit board issues in these years, late 2004 and up clusters are redesigned circuit boards and do not have this failure.

Unless it's a ground issue, which is a good possibility. G203 is the cluster ground which is under the top dash cover at the base of the A pillar. A clue would be if when the 4 ways come on with the left or right signal, they are dimmer than normal. Another possibility is the battery to body ground G100 from the battery to the lower left rad support.

You could run a new ground wire from the engine to the body somewhere and see if it improves, then check G203. A bad ground might also explain the BCM codes, which is also grounded at G203.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How easy is ground 203 to get at? I was thinking it was a bad ground somewhere since the trucks stayed in Wisconsin and northern Ilinois all 154,000 miles. Another thing thats making me steer clear of the instrumebt cluster is the fact that it was still lit up and acting like normal except for the odometer and 2 lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.