Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 and a shop recently installed a flex fuel sensor in it. Since then, the check engine, traction control, tow/haul, cruise control lights haven't been working. Also, the fuel gauge rarely works. All other gauges work as they should. He mentioned something about needing to "pin" the new sensor into the ECU. Is it possible my ECU was damaged? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Seems to me that they've messed up your BCM. Adding a physical alcohol content sensor necessitates pinning the ECM, they ought to have known this and of course programming is required with EFI Live or HP Tuners to "turn it on".

I would first check under the hood and under the dash for disconnects or damaged wiring. If you have a Tech-2, check the internal trouble codes as they ought to point you towards the trouble.

You going to race the truck or run ethanol more often?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to me that they've messed up your BCM. Adding a physical alcohol content sensor necessitates pinning the ECM, they ought to have known this and of course programming is required with EFI Live or HP Tuners to "turn it on".

I would first check under the hood and under the dash for disconnects or damaged wiring. If you have a Tech-2, check the internal trouble codes as they ought to point you towards the trouble.

You going to race the truck or run ethanol more often?
Thank you for the reply. It was tuned with HP Tuners after they installed the sensor. I still haul with it and I just wanted it so I could run 91 or E85. Is the fuel gauge tied into the BCM as well, or is that only the sending unit? Another shop I went to thought the lights were burnt out, so I tried plugging in a different cluster and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thank you for the reply. It was tuned with HP Tuners after they installed the sensor. I still haul with it and I just wanted it so I could run 91 or E85. Is the fuel gauge tied into the BCM as well, or is that only the sending unit? Another shop I went to thought the lights were burnt out, so I tried plugging in a different cluster and it did the same thing.
Yes, the Instrument cluster is run by the BCM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts