Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Silverado that when it gets hot inside (sitting in the sun) there is a very strong chemical smell, so much so that it burns my eyes and throat. It will eventually air out but I have never had a car smell like this. The dealer said it a detail product that wasn't supposed to be used but there was nothing used on the car. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions on how to deal with it?

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,799 Posts
I would probably leave it all opened up on a clear warm day to air it out. Did you look under the seats to see if by chance someone put some of those sent cards under there?

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
Have you had this issue since you owned it. I expect you have owned the truck for a while if it is a 2017. Did it just start recently or has this occurred every day it has been hot since you owned it? You don't have some kind of chemical under the back seats?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. I have tried baking soda and I am airing it out. I owned it some in 2017 but the weather had started to turn cool so it was never under the heat it is now.

Maybe it is the Resistall they put on it? I can't tell now if it is the headliner or the carpet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am coming to the conclusion that it is either the headliner or the insulation under the headliner (or something else in there). I have been like a bulldog trying to find it. When I open the sunroom I can smell the chemical or whatever it is coming from under the headliner as the truck sits and warms up.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I think I would make another trip to the dealer or better yet a different dealer. I don't see how you could have used any chemicals under the headliner.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,702 Posts
...just fyi, you probably won't get a response from the o.p., as this is a 4 year old thread and the o.p. hasn't logged into the site since then...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts