Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to rely on my 2013's built-in Engine Oil Life System, as I have on my previous Silverados. With oil changes (and tire rotation) needed an average of 2-3 times per year, is it really worth doing your own oil changes at home?

Will purchasing the necessary tools and supplies to do them at home pay for itself after a certain amount of time?

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
I like to do my work myself. That being said, the main reason I do my own is not to save money, but because I like to know it is done right. I also already have all the tools and place to change it. If you are just trying to determine if it is a money saved to do it yourself, and you just have to have it changed 3 times a year I think you could go either way. If you don't have the tools now, or a good place to do it, you have to ask is it worth your time trying to crawl under it and do it yourself. Time is money.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I don't mind doing it myself but my dealer offers a $25 oil change so I usually take it there unless I'm feeling froggy:lol:. Plus they grease everything and performs a 20 something point check...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
358 Posts
With the newer trucks having the dexos spec, you are looking at doing at minimum a semi-synthetic change. If you opt for full synthetic your oil change is by far and away less expensive doing it yourself. Typically dealers use their least experienced people to do oil changes. Not that I'm perfect and couldn't make a mistake, but when it is your own vehicle you are much more careful to make sure things like drain plugs are tight, old filter gaskets are not stuck on the block, etc. Also, I've always wondered how many people pay a dealer or quick oil change place for a more expensive synthetic oil, but drive away with a change from the bulk fill oil blissfully unaware that they've been ripped off; I've got to believe it happens if no one is looking.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,195 Posts
Fyi

Friday, November 1, 2013
API Reveals Nearly 20 Percent of Bulk Oils Fail Performance Standards

Bulk motor oil testing performed by the American Petroleum Institute (API) indicates many motorists may be receiving substandard motor oil when they drop their vehicles off for an oil change. According to the API, it purchased and tested over 1,000 samples from bulk motor oil tanks throughout North America over the past five years, and nearly 20 percent failed API performance standards.

"API is concerned about the high levels of failure we are finding in our audit results," said Kevin Ferrick, API engine oil licensing and certification system manager. "API is sharing these audit findings with the public as part of its new 'Motor Oil Matters' program, which helps reduce the risk of consumers receiving oil that doesn't meet their car's performance requirements."

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I take mine to the dealer for every third change. For no other reason than to keep a relationship there. I don't like showing up only when I have a problem. This has seemed to work out well for me on all of my vehicles. Last December I had a self caused electrical issue and the dealer took 4 days to find the problem. They ended up charging me like $210 for the repair AND oil change!

To me, that right there is worth the extra cost that keeping a relationship costs.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
^ That right there is EXACTLY why I go to the dealer and "throw them a bone" once in a while. I also don't only make an appearance when something goes wrong.

It has paid off for me many many times and I have written in other threads on here about the great relationship I have with my dealership.

This obviously won't work for all dealerships, but it sure works for me! :grin:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sylvester13 said:
Also, I've always wondered how many people pay a dealer or quick oil change place for a more expensive synthetic oil, but drive away with a change from the bulk fill oil blissfully unaware that they've been ripped off; I've got to believe it happens if no one is looking.
I used to use a quick change place with my infiniti because it was so damn hard to get under and do the oil change. I asked what full synthetic they have in bulk, and then requested a different brand. they kept a few in the actual quart bottles, and i'd watch em put the quarts in so I knew that I was getting good oil for my $80 the full synthetic change cost.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I change mine myself,f that way I know it was done right wit the RIGHT amount of oil put in, plus it saves me money.
You could buy the tools you need for less than $25 ( a wrench, oil pan) I've never used an oil wrench those are a joke, and I can easily get under my truck so you don't need ramps or anything.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I change it myself no matter what. With that said when I bought the new Suburban last February, I purchased from a dealer that I have not delt with before so I thought for the first oil change I would let them do it. I made an appointment and got the oil change and was one my way. So time went by I decided that I would do the next oil change. ****important**** I have an oil filter wrench (the socket kind, not the strap kind) that fits the AC Delco filter perfect so what you see in the pic is NOT from my oil filter wrench, it is from the person at the dealer who installed the filter on my Brand new Suburban. I did not call and B$&@h because they would argue it was the way I took it off but I know different and I'm pretty sure they don't need me as a customer and probably haven't missed me :D

I keep all oil change receipts and take extensive photos of the oil change for warranty purposes. I don't care as it my ass that I'm saving if a warranty issue comes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
On the trucks and cars I own I do my own oil changes. I enjoy doing it.

But on my wife's leased car I don't care about how long they last or if it's done right cause it soon ends up right back at the dealership as a trade in.so I always take it in to the dealership for its oil changes . $20 they take care of it .im sure it's with the cheapest oil they can find

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I don't really worry, and never have, about keeping all the receipts and stuff. I do go onto the Chevrolet site and record each maintenance event in their MyChevy records section. I also have it in a maintenance spreadsheet on the computer. That kind of thing has always sufficed for all my commercial vehicles. As for someone else doing the work, not a terrible thing, but their was a study done recently by the API folks, where thousands of samples were taken from different bulk oil tanks from various dealers, quick lubes, etc, and 20% of the tanks had oil that did not meet the specification that they claimed to meet. Just a thought to help anyone on the fence in determining if DIY is worth it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I change my oil about every two months due to the mileage I drive.
I watch the specials at the auto parts stores for synthetic oil and filter specials (I'll use any brand name oil usually Castrol, Quaker State, Mobil or Pennziol).
Grab the right socket, rag, pan and filter wrench and I can be done in less time than it takes to get to the dealer.
My driveway ramps up to the garage with a slight grade, if I set the front wheels on the level garage floor I can lay on the creeper and reach everything with ease.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I prefer the dealer and I follow the on board computer for both Chevy's in the garage (Burb/Agrado). A long time ago the dealership said I could bring in my own oil ans save myself a bunch of money over time. I purchase my oil on base and get oil changes on "Military Appreciation Day" (every Thursday at my dealership ... that's an extra 15%). For me its win win; however, I do peek under the hood every Saturday (there's something about those V8s that pulls you in). :lol:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I prefer to do it myself just for peace of mind, and if something goes awry, I can only blame myself.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.